North America /
Engineering – Engineering /
Skytap is searching for a recognized technology leader to join our senior leadership team as CTO. We are looking for a technology visionary who loves digging into details as much as creating long-term strategic plans; someone who seeks to change the equation when the way forward seems blocked. Candidates must have a proven history of building and mentoring great teams to create and operate modern distributed systems globally. Candidates must also understand what it takes to build and operate a highly available IaaS or SaaS product that enterprise customers depend on to operate and support business-critical systems. In addition to strong internal engineering leadership, we are looking for a CTO who can be a compelling external brand champion. Our CTO will help recruit new team members, expand our partnerships with Microsoft and IBM, and help win our most strategic customer opportunities.
Skytap is a cloud service designed for traditional enterprise systems anchored in the data center. We make it possible to migrate, natively run, and modernize these systems in the cloud, helping businesses achieve their cloud strategies. Once in the cloud, our customers accelerate application innovation, simplify management, and unlock new cloud-based HA and DR opportunities for applications where that was previously impossible.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong technical point of view derived from experience successfully implementing practices used by the world’s leading technology companies to build, deploy, and operate services at scale. Having explicit opinions on leadership and team-building grounded in authenticity is a core skill for this role as it will help you quickly establish credibility among architects, developers, product managers, and other technology executives.
- You also enjoy building teams and creating opportunities for people to grow. If we asked your former team members, we’d like to hear that you were their favorite manager. Both because you were an excellent leader who established clear expectations and because you cared about the people on your team.
- Evaluate the company’s product, engineering, and technology roadmaps. Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with business goals and broader technology strategy
- Translate the strategy into goals and an actionable roadmap
- Expand, support, and mentor a best-in-class engineering team of 80+ people
- Foster a culture of strategic ownership, scrappiness, and cross-functional collaboration down to the IC engineering levelUse insights from data to drive efficient feature delivery and operations excellence
- Help model capacity requirements and utilization rates to predict and improve margins
- Represent the technology team by communicating direction and data-driven insights to leadership peers, customers, partners and Skytap’s Board of Directors
- The ideal candidate has had an exemplary career as a senior leader of software engineering and architecture. Exceptional candidates will have the following:
- 15+ years of progressive experience in technology leadership, software engineering and architecture, including full stack development
- Domain expertise in IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS products
- Experience working with enterprise software is a must
- Strong experience working with and presenting to a board of directors Excellent understanding of cloud computing technologies, highly reliable and available large scale distributed systems
- Experience leading and motivating software engineering teams and managing complex software projects
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with remote teams of engineers, as well as with customers and partners
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus
Why Join Us?
Since our founding in Seattle 15 years ago, our employees have been organically creating a culture defined by their passion, technical excellence, and desire to succeed as a team. These values have helped us navigate more than a decade of disruption in the tech industry and we’re now poised for major growth.
Staying true to who we are as we grow and change means hiring people who share our commitment to customer success and company-wide accountability. We empower each employee to make an impact, to be active ambassadors of diversity and inclusivity, and to play an active role in building a company worthy of our employees’ commitment.
Our public cloud service was designed to solve a specific challenge -- migrate to and modernize traditional enterprise applications in the cloud -- that is now paramount to CIOs worldwide. Major enterprises in healthcare, retail, media and more depend on Skytap Cloud to compete in the digital economy. We have differentiated, protected technology that decidedly solves an urgent challenge for enterprise IT. And we need more talented people to solve ever-larger customer challenges.
At Skytap we believe that great people build a great company. Skytap is committed to providing an inclusive, positive working environment for all employees, regardless of sexual orientation, ableness, physical appearance, education, age, race, or religion. We’re looking for amazing people to join our mission--come be a part of building something great!
We are a 100% remote company accepting applications from candidates located in British Columbia, Ontario, India, Singapore, EMEA, and the United States.