Full Time, Remote
We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over fifty fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. With just a small team, we’ve already created the largest professional English offering in the world. Now, we’re scaling up to release 1,000 more courses over the next three years.
Learn more about our unique approach at slangapp.com. We’d love to field any questions you have about our product and vision!
What this role is about
In this role, you’ll be driving the strategy of our product through an intimate understanding of our users’ problems. With user research sessions, a strong comprehension of our data and analytics, an understanding of the competitive landscape, and a coherent vision for Slang’s future, you’ll help us define our product roadmap and help us stay on track. We have tens of thousands of active users and many subproblems in language learning to tackle.
We have a diverse set of users, including learners who use the Slang learning app to learn a language, managers who use the Slang management app to help their employees or students succeed, and internal Slang employees who use the Slang administrative app to build content and manage clients.
Slang is a product-driven startup, which, to us, means that our products are at the center of our company vision. We’re aiming to build products which sell themselves.
Some interesting problems we’re tackling
- How can we design the learning experience to communicate the power of the advanced data-science deciding the particular sequence of activities a user sees while maintaining simplicity and intuitiveness?
- How can we aggregate and communicate the learning statistics of a company’s employees for display to their managers?
- What are the discriminating characteristics between our users who use Slang for several hours every day and those who use Slang once a month?
- How can we further reduce the time it takes our learners to reach English proficiency in their fields?
Skills and technologies
- Two or more years of experience in product management with a strong portfolio.
- Data analysis skills and a strong understanding of statistics fundamentals to be able to understand the meaning in our vast data and analytics, and to run data-driven experiments.
- An eye for both the design and technology sides of product specification. While you don’t have to be an engineer or a visual designer, an understanding of those two worlds will help form a consistent vision for our product.
- Excellent discipline and focus, especially in autonomous environments, and strong English communication skills. We’re a small team and we’re moving quick!
- A plus: interest or experience with education or language learning.
What Slang can offer you
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, company equity, and unique benefits.
Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
For more information about Slang and our ecosystem, check out our El Tiempo interview from our beta launch; the portfolio of Social Capital, our lead investor and investor in companies like Slack and Intercom; our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego Villegas and Kamran Khan.
Where we're located
Our team is currently split between Boston, Ciudad de México, São Paulo, Bogotá and Medellín. We are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world.
Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá and in the Ruta N Innovation district of Medellín.
We'd love to hear from you — apply below!
Slang is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are excited about creating an inclusive and healthy environment.
For further information related to Slang, check out recent pieces profiling us in Expansión and Portafolio; the portfolios of our investors, Social Capital and ALLVP (also investors in startups like Slack, Intercom, and Cornershop); our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego and Kamran.