Senior Dev-Ops Engineer
Full Time, Remote
We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over 80 fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. We already have the largest professional English offering in the world.
Learn more about our unique approach at slangapp.com.
We’re looking for a talented dev-ops engineer/SRE who is interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What this role is about
If you’re interested in pioneering a way to apply cutting-edge technologies to online education — and having a strong hand in shaping our infrastructure and dev-ops practices — we would love to tell you more about our opportunity.
In this role, you’ll be in charge of development operations, working closely with the CTO and product engineers to ensure Slang’s infrastructure is ready for the feature, userbase, and data growth ahead.
As this is an early step in the maturation of our infrastructure, this role encompasses elements of dev-ops, site-reliability engineering, system administration, and database administration.
Some interesting problems we’re tackling:
- How can we efficiently model our learners’ knowledge of English, and efficiently store that rich knowledge data so that our products can query any of 100,000 users’ knowledge in any of 100,000 English concepts?
- How can we architect our database so that managers who use our platform can do quick analyses of our large time-series datasets of user activity?
- How can we make sure that all of our team members — engineers, content developers, and product managers alike — can make use of the insights in our database?
- How can we use modern CI/CD practices and tooling to make our fast-moving product engineers even faster?
- How can we ensure that our apps, with infrastructure that’s growing in complexity by the quarter, maintain a great user experience and four nines of reliability?
- We will soon be migrating off of the higher-level platform-as-a-service providers we currently use to a lower-level infrastructure-as-a-service provider. How will we plan, execute, and maintain that migration?
Skills and technologies
- Four or more years of experience in modern dev-ops engineering or SRE, including:
- Extensive experience with a major infrastructure-as-a-service provider, preferably AWS.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code paradigms, preferably with Terraform.
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring, alerting, and incident response.
- Knowledge of modern best practices in building scalable infrastructure via containerization (preferably Docker), container orchestration (Kubernetes or Nomad), and proper configuration management (Ansible or Salt).
- Knowledge of database technologies, data structures, and related optimization. Our OLTP needs are currently met by managed PostgreSQL and Redis instances, and we’re just getting our OLAP pipeline off the ground with a new Snowflake warehouse.
- A plus: experience with migration of complex infrastructure, preferably from a PaaS provider to an IaaS provider.A plus: experience building and maintaining data pipelines.
- An ability to work alongside product engineers in developing and deploying feature-specific infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines, and other reliability- or productivity-enhancing resources.
- The architectural chops to produce and maintain a clean, reliable, maintainable, and efficient infrastructure. Our product engineers focus on code quality, and that’s a trait we want to persist in dev-ops.
- Excellent discipline and focus, especially in autonomous environments. You’ll be working directly with the CTO to research to make key dev-ops/SRE decisions.
- Strong English communication skills. We're setting the foundation for long-term infrastructure skills, so decisions and rationale need to be clear to the product and engineering teams. Our team is global and speaks many languages, but our day-to-day communication is in English.
What Slang can offer you
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary and unique benefits.
Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
Where we're located
Our team is currently split between Boston, Ciudad de México, São Paulo, Bogotá and Medellín. We are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world.
Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá and in the Ruta N Innovation district of Medellín. Our México City office is located in Montes Urales WeWork.
We'd love to hear from you — apply below!
Slang is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are excited about creating an inclusive and healthy environment.
For further information related to Slang, check out recent pieces profiling us in Expansión and Portafolio; the portfolios of our investors, Social Capital, ALLVP and Positive Ventures (also investors in startups like Slack, Intercom, and Cornershop); our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego and Kamran.