Senior Editor/Podcast Producer, Narrative
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – Podcasts /
Slate Podcasts is looking for a senior editor/producer for the narrative unit. This person will work on all of Slate’s award-winning narrative shows, including Slow Burn, One Year, and Decoder Ring. We’re looking for a versatile audio-maker with a keen grasp of documentary storytelling. They have a natural curiosity and interest in adding perspective and context to complicated narratives. They have an ear for good tape and a nose for archival audio. They know how to use field recordings and sound design to bring old stories to life. They can move adroitly between reporting, recording, script editing, audio mixing, project managing, and creative problem-solving. The ideal candidate is equally adept at crafting a compelling narrative on paper and making it sing in the mix. They’re a sharp story editor with experience shaping an episode arc (from early concept to final script) and a seasoned producer well versed in all aspects of postproduction (from tape selects to musical scoring). Applicants must be self-starters who are efficient, personable, open to experimentation, and able to find real joy in the work.
Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York City or D.C., or can be remote for highly qualified candidates. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America, East. The annual base pay range for this job is between $90,000 and $100,000.
· Work with a host and team of producers to conceive multi-episode seasons
· Identify promising storylines, characters, and sound-rich tape opportunities
· Contribute to the research and reporting, and prep for interviews
· Serve as a first-line story editor, refining scripts through restructuring and rewriting
· Help manage the team workflow in order to hit key production deadlines
· Supervise rough mixes in Pro Tools and add creative sound design (archival tape and music)
· Direct host voice tracking sessions in person or remotely
· Track and implement multiple rounds of notes on tight deadlines
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
· At least five years of intensive audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent, preferably in a journalistic environment
· Excellent writing skills, editing chops, and story sense
· Experience turning dry research into compelling narratives
· Mastery of professional audio editing software, preferably Pro Tools
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.