Home Page Editor
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is hiring a full-time homepage editor. Slate’s homepage attracts a significant audience, and the ideal candidate will help us develop and execute strategies to better serve those loyal readers. We’re looking for a strategic thinker with strong news judgment to run the day-to-day on the page. During major events, this person will be designing the narrative that Slate is telling and highlighting Slate’s distinctive coverage. They will write compelling headlines in Slate’s voice and work with the art team to create a visually dynamic look. They will also care about helping readers and listeners find our stories, and will work closely with editors throughout the newsroom to optimize our work.
Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. Strong remote candidates will be considered. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East. The minimum salary for this position is $65,000 but compensation can and will reflect applicants' experience.
- Running the homepage on a daily basis: writing and testing headlines, making changes based on data, and thinking about how to drive readership
- Strategically planning to maximize the performance of our stories, whether an evergreen reported feature or an immediate reaction post during a major breaking news event
- Responsible for creating a compelling page—from art to story selection and storytelling—by collaborating with people across the newsroom
- Send push notifications and manage promotion in the Slate app, and track performance over time to optimize the process
- At least two years of experience as a homepage editor, audience engagement editor, or similar role for a publication
- A passion for news and journalism
- The ability to write compelling headlines and an understanding of Slate’s voice
- A deep interest in how audiences find stories and how Slate can build loyalty among our readers
- Top-notch communication and organization skills
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.