Podcast Host - ICYMI
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – Podcasts /
Slate is looking for a co-host for ICYMI, our popular twice-weekly podcast about internet culture. The ideal candidate is a great talker, reporter, and explainer who lives on and for the internet. Do you know who Andrew Tate is and why he’s been banned from Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok? Do you have thoughts on what West Elm Caleb and Couch Guy tell us about the expansion of the true-crime economy? Can you explain TikTok to someone who still misses Tumblr? If you can answer those questions in a way that’s engaging to normies and the Extremely Online alike, we want to hear from you.
Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East. The minimum salary for this position is $72,000, but compensation can and will reflect applicants' experience.
● Work with a small team of producers to create a twice-weekly show that skillfully covers internet culture with nuance, humor, and journalistic rigor
● Engage deeply with the internet, especially social media, and look to understand it from a digital native perspective
● Meet multiple deadlines weekly
● Work closely with the producing team to cultivate a recurring roster of guests and segments
● Script episodes with your co-host, with research and booking support from the production team
● Ability to identify interesting stories, trends, etc. from all corners of the internet
● Smart, funny, engaging on-mic presence
● Collaborative spirit
● Reporting skills and experience
● Ability to work on deadline
● Comfort expressing nuanced opinions
● To apply, send a résumé, a cover letter, and a link to something you’ve written or made (ideally something about the internet, or in audio form, or even both).
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.