Senior Editor, Life
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is seeking a senior editor in our human interest and culture sections. The editor will focus on our life coverage, overseeing a range of work on downtime, family, relationships, dating and sex, religion, internet and celebrity, and more. The editor should be comfortable in a variety of modes: directing sharp reporting, spotting the best personal essays, coming up with big ideas and conceptual scoops that define our moment, and maintaining the ideal balance between fast daily work and features.
Great life stories have been part of Slate from the beginning, and for this reinvigorated and growing part of our coverage, we need an ambitious and even-keeled editor who is comfortable with both staff writers and freelancers with varying levels of experience; who has constant enterprising ideas and the willpower to execute them; and who understands what makes a Slate story stand out. Editors with many job backgrounds could be great for this role, and we welcome candidates with a vision for how to approach this coverage.
Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. Strong remote candidates will be considered. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East. The minimum salary for this position is $76,000 but compensation can and will reflect applicants' experience.
● Edit multiple stories per week for Slate’s Life section, including quick-turn daily pieces and bigger features
● Generating ideas for quick takes, explainers, essays, reported features, and big swings
● Motivating writers and cultivating new freelancers
● Work closely with the culture and life editors on day-to-day initiatives and our bigger ambitions
● At least five years’ experience working as a journalist, preferably with online experience
● Experience managing and cultivating writers
● A deep bench of story ideas and great news judgment
● Top-notch communication and collaboration skills
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.