UX Designer (NYC or DC)
Washington, District of Columbia /
Technology – Product /
We are looking for a UX designer who wants to make beautiful and functional work that solves meaningful problems. You’ll be working hands-on creating, testing, and iterating on designs, as well as assisting our development team in bringing those experiences to life. We have a small and diverse team that loves to teach, learn, and collaborate.
- Collaborate and communicate across our development, product, and editorial teams
- Create and iterate on design comps, prototypes, and documentation
- Contribute to frontend code for our site and platforms
- QA and help debug coded designs
- Conduct user research and testing on your work and existing UX
- Participate in sprint planning and retrospectives
- Strive and advocate for excellent design and UX that serves Slate’s audience
- Directly report to our Senior Product Manager overseeing Site UX and Apps
- Candidates for this position should be located in either NY or DC, and have 3+ years of professional experience in design/UX.
- Visual design practices like layout, typography, and color
- Design for accessibility and usability
- Conducting research and usability studies
- Responsive web design concepts
- Design applications like Sketch or Figma
- Frontend coding languages like HTML and CSS
- Writing, journalism, and publishing
- Information architecture
- Working with a CMS and templates
- Working with and creating design systems
- Working in Illustrator and/or Photoshop
Candidates should have experience in:
Bonus if you have experience in:
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.