Senior Audience Development Manager for Podcasts
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – Podcasts /
About the Role
Slate is hiring a senior audience development manager to help us grow our podcast audience. This person will manage our show and season launches and work to attract new listeners to Slate’s existing podcasts, including our narrative shows, chat shows, and daily news podcast. They’ll experiment with new ideas, execute and optimize proven strategies, and help us apply best practices across our network. They’ll also play an important role in engaging our current listeners.
The person in this position will work closely with show producers, podcast leadership, and other staffers from across the company. A typical day might include meeting with the team behind the next season of Slow Burn about launch plans, writing promotional copy for a new episode of What Next, and briefing our podcast platform contacts about our priorities for the next quarter.
This position is preferably based at one of Slate’s offices in Brooklyn and D.C. (once they reopen), but strong remote applicants will also be considered.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America, East.
- Develop and implement strategies for growing Slate’s podcasts—we especially value new tactics and creative approaches to podcast marketing that build on our current strategies
- Drive forward podcast growth initiatives—you’ll be collaborating with people from across the company, but you’ll be the person responsible for making things happen
- Oversee launches of new shows and seasons, including building marketing plans and coordinating and tracking internal promotions on Slate shows
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners, including podcast platforms and other podcast networks
- Work with audience engagement editors to implement best practices across all of our podcast promotions
- At least two years’ experience working in marketing or audience development for audio, with a track record of success at building podcast audiences
- Proven ability to shift between strategic thinking and rapid execution
- Top-notch organizational and communication skills
- Ability to write compelling marketing and promotional language across platforms and mediums (audio production skills are a plus, but not a requirement)
- A deep understanding of the podcast ecosystem and Slate’s place within it
- Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.