Director of Sales & Marketing (US-REMOTE)
Washington, District of Columbia /
Supporting Cast – Operations /
Supporting Cast seeks a Director of Sales & Marketing to grow our podcast customer base. You will lead and optimize all aspects of our sales pipeline, from lead generation to contract negotiation. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success creating effective marketing campaigns and leading sales teams.
Supporting Cast is part of The Slate Group. Working here provides the dynamic excitement of a startup and the stability and competitive compensation of an established employer.
Our team is largely remote, and we will consider candidates from any location. You will be welcome to work out of our Washington, DC and Brooklyn, NY offices after the pandemic, or you can remain remote.
- Lead Supporting Cast’s marketing and prospecting efforts, focusing energy and resources on channels with the highest return on investment
- Participate and occasionally lead prospect calls/demos to help close deals
- Manage our current two-person sales team, giving them the sales collateral and knowledge to succeed
- Manage external marketing consultants as appropriate to optimize ad spending
- Produce content for our website, outbound marketing, and pitch meetings to drive leads and improve our pipeline conversion rate
- Track all phases of the marketing and sales pipeline using Hubspot and other tools, reporting on performance to leadership and the rest of the company
- Negotiate terms and agreements with clients, using past performance to project the profitability of each deal
- Monitor trends within podcasting and the broader digital marketing ecosystem, proposing creative strategies that take advantage of new marketing and sales opportunities as they arise
- Advise podcaster clients on marketing strategy on an ad-hoc basis in conjunction with the customer success team
- Lead Supporting Cast’s participation in industry events
- Contribute to the company’s strategy and roadmap, informed by interactions with clients and prospects
- 5-7 years' experience in a marketing and/or sales role
- 2-3 years' experience as a manager
- Ability to develop an intuitive understanding of clients’ needs
- Exceptional relationship building and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience managing digital ad strategy and writing engaging, creative copy
- Familiarity with the latest trends and best practices in online marketing and measurement
- A strong interest in podcasting as a listener if not in a professional capacity
- Bonus points for experience with the tools in our sales and marketing stack, including Hubspot, Keynote, Webflow, Amplitude, Notion
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels
- Data-driven orientation and strong quantitative reasoning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced team environment
- Extremely detail oriented and organized
- Ability to take initiative and to follow through on projects with minimal guidance
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.