Politics Editor (NYC or DC)
Washington, District of Columbia /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is hiring a politics editor to drive our coverage. We’re looking for an editor full of ideas about how to cover the Biden years; the political and policy fights animating the left, right, and center; and the coming midterm and, yes, presidential elections. This position is based in D.C. or Brooklyn, although exceptional remote candidates may be considered.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.
- Assigning and editing Slate's daily politics coverage
- Assigning and editing features and profiles
- Planning and executing ambitious editorial projects and packages
- Working closely with other Slate editors to coordinate coverage
- Giving Slate's audience the smartest possible ways to think about and understand the world
- A sharp, interesting mind and pen
- Tons of ideas
- Experience editing both reporting and analysis—we do both
- Excellent management, organizational, and communication skills
- A track record of mentoring and eliciting great work from young talent and more established writers, including freelance writers
- A fast metabolism
- A nonideological approach to journalism
- At least 7 years' experience working as an editor online, ideally with part of that time focused on U.S. politics
- Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.