Associate Writer, News & Politics
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is hiring an associate writer to work in our News & Politics vertical. This is a junior position with room to grow, ideal for someone who is constantly following the news and has unique and surprising ideas for how to approach top stories. In particular, we’re looking for someone who can write quickly, add analysis to certain topics, and come up with smart and distinctive ways to add reporting to the news of the day. This role will be primarily focused on daily writing, though there will also be opportunities for longer pieces, arguments, and reporting projects. We define the sections of News & Politics relatively broadly and are interested to hear what interests, ideas, and knowledge you would bring to the role.
Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. Strong remote candidates will be considered. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East. The minimum salary for this position is $60,000 but compensation can and will reflect applicants' experience.
- Write daily
- Keep an eye on the news and determine how to add to the biggest stories of the day
- Have ideas about how to surface news that is flying under the radar and should be a bigger deal
- Collaborate with the rest of the News & Politics team, as well as the larger Slate newsroom
- Accept assignments, hone them, and own them
- Experience in a newsroom preferred
- Be fast, flexible, and rigorous
- Have a strong voice and a desire to create a relationship with Slate readers
- Know when to weigh in with an opinion and when to go out and do some reporting
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.