Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is hiring a full-time politics writer. Ideal candidates will be smart and energetic, with a knack for finding new stories and unexplored angles on familiar but important subjects. We’re looking for someone who sees politics as a study of human behavior and is interested not just in the important stories coming out of statehouses or Washington but in how politics manifests in a variety of areas, such as social movements, education, religion, generational trends, race and identity, and pop culture. Strong opinions and an attachment to specific journalistic beats are welcome; curiosity is a must.
Minimum of five years’ journalistic experience required. Reporting experience and experience working online strongly preferred. The position is on staff, with benefits. Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. Strong remote candidates will be considered. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.
- Writing and reporting on the biggest stories of the day
- Generating ideas for quick analysis, essays, reported pieces, and conversation-starting (or conversation-ending) work on the political dynamics at play in the U.S.
- Operating as part of a politics team in a news cycle that never sleeps
- Collaborating with writers and editors across Slate on larger sitewide initiatives
- A sharp, funny, interesting mind and pen
- At least five years’ experience working as a journalist, preferably with online experience
- A deep well of story ideas and understanding of the political landscape
- Top-notch communication skills
- Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.