Slate Plus Customer Support Specialist
Washington, District of Columbia /
Business – Membership /
About the Role
As a customer support specialist for Slate, you’ll provide assistance to our growing Slate Plus membership of both readers and podcast listeners.
Working remotely in coordination with the Slate Plus team and other support specialists, you’ll respond to inbound emails, helping listeners troubleshoot issues with their podcast apps and answering subscribers’ questions about payments, content access, and account management. You will provide regular feedback to the product and development team about how to improve our features. You will also assist with creating knowledge base content and create new processes to improve the quality and efficiency of user support. The candidate should be available to work approximately 15 hours a week, with some morning availability.
This is a remote position, working with a team that is located mostly in Washington, D.C., and New York. The rate of pay is $20–26/hr (dependent on experience).
- Answer customer inquiries promptly
- Troubleshoot basic user issues by investigating and replicating them
- Identify, track, and communicate patterns in user issues to appropriate team members
- Contribute to written support materials, including knowledge base articles
- Develop automations to provide more efficient support
- Resourcefulness: You find creative solutions to user problems
- Independence: You are self-motivated and thrive on working solo
- Efficiency: You have a knack for developing systems and processes
- Ability to prioritize: You can identify which types of requests get your attention first
- Strong written communication skills
- Prior help desk experience preferred but not required
- Familiarity with Freshdesk and premium podcast services is a plus
- Some morning availability is a must
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.