Director, Software Engineering (US-Remote)
Washington, District of Columbia /
Technology – Supporting Cast /
Supporting Cast seeks a passionate, creative developer with management experience to expand on Supporting Cast’s premium podcasting platform. As the leader of the team that builds and maintains our platform, your role will be to help independent podcasters, networks, and media companies improve their financial sustainability and better satisfy their listeners. You will be in a position to have a huge influence on our tech stack, our rapidly evolving product, and future hiring. Working here provides the dynamic excitement of a startup, and the stability and competitive compensation of an established employer.
We will consider candidates from any location, provided you can work US East Coast hours — the role can be fully remote after the pandemic ends, or you may choose to work out of Slate's Washington, DC or Brooklyn, NY offices.
- Build a team that can implement an ambitious long term roadmap and respond to time-sensitive client needs
- Learn a lot about the fast-growing podcast industry and the fast-growing membership-service space
- Scale an application vertically as we grow total membership into the millions of users
- Scale an application horizontally as we evaluate and implement new technologies and stacks beyond Laravel and PHP
- Build and maintain an API for clients
- Build and maintain implementations for other websites, including but not limited to WordPress plug-ins and JS/iframe embeds
- Maintain and optimize advanced CDN (Fastly), e-commerce (Stripe), and dev-ops (AWS) integrations
- Play a key role in product, business, and hiring conversations
- Seven to ten years’ experience as a developer and/or technical manager
- Significant experience with PHP and Laravel. Experience with WordPress is a plus
- Fluency with a wide range of AWS services, with the ability to quickly research and adopt new ones
- Experience with CDN strategies; knowledge of Varnish is a strong plus
- Experience with payment platforms like Stripe (preferred), Braintree, Paypal, Apple Pay, etc.
- Working knowledge of software design concepts like SOLID, design patterns, and cyclomatic complexity
- Working familiarity with job-scheduling tools like queues and crons
Our Current Tech Slack
- App: PHP/Laravel, Nginx, Varnish, Redis, Postgres, Docker
- Dev ops: AWS (EC2/EB/Pipeline/Parameter Store/etc.), Fastly CDN
- Key software vendors: AWS (SES/SNS/SMS), Google Cloud Computing
- Key business vendors and partners: Stripe, Wordpress, Zapier
- Repo: GitHub
- Project management: Agile-oriented. Zenhub, Notion, Slack, Google Docs
About Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast enables podcasters and audiobook publishers to launch podcast subscription programs and sell premium audio content that listeners can access through their podcast apps. Created by Slate following the success of Slate Plus, we now work with some of the largest podcasters and audiobook publishers in the industry.
As an internal startup, our small team is very much part of Slate’s warm, inclusive, and unique business culture. Slate has a history of successful internal startups, having previously spun off Social Code and Megaphone as successful independent companies.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.