Associate Writer, Culture
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – The Site /
Slate is hiring an associate writer for our culture section. This is a junior position with room to grow. A high-metabolism writer and reporter able to engage with a wide range of areas in culture—including movies, television, music, the internet, and other areas in the zeitgeist—will thrive in this position. Candidates should be able to identify the most important culture news as it breaks and know how to take fun, original, and creative approaches to coverage that make sense for Slate. We’re looking for someone with good news judgment who writes clean copy.
Some published writing experience is required, with online journalism strongly preferred. Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C. Strong remote candidates will be considered. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East. The minimum salary for this position is $60,000 but compensation can and will reflect applicants' experience.
● Fast, daily writing and reporting on the biggest culture stories of the moment
● Generating ideas for quick analysis and conversation-starting (or conversation-ending) work on movies, television, books, music, internet culture, or ideally, all of the above
● Operating as an integral part of Slate’s culture team
● A sharp, funny, provocative mind and confidence getting ideas onto paper
● At least two years’ experience working as a writer, preferably with online journalism experience
● A deep well of story ideas and a sharp understanding of the cultural landscape
● Top-notch communication skills
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate, founded in 1996, is a daily online magazine and podcast network that helped invent the voice of the web. Our strong editorial voice and witty take on current events & culture have been recognized with numerous awards, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our podcast network, established in 2005, produces more than 20 podcasts, including Slow Burn, What Next, Decoder Ring and more.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.