Producer, What Next
Brooklyn, New York /
Editorial – Podcasts /
About the Role
Slate is hiring a producer to join the tightknit, scrappy team pioneering Slate’s daily news podcast, What Next.
We’re looking for someone who loves the news and has an audio background. Maybe you’ve taught yourself how to edit audio because you got obsessed with radio stories. Maybe you found yourself drawn to podcasts because they offered a bit more intimacy than radio. You don’t have to be a journalism school graduate, but you should be a student of the news, examining how different outlets attack the same story. You are not exhausted by this news cycle—you are energized by it.
The right person for this job can deal with change—our show is always evolving. You don’t take yourself seriously, but you’re passionate about the work. You’re kind and generous with your colleagues, but you can articulate your concerns and solve problems as they crop up.
And lastly, what we really want is a producer who knows that this job isn’t merely a stepping stone. You’re committed to making What Next fantastic. This is a great opportunity to help shape a show, and you want to know what that’s like. This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.
- Work on a team to shape each day’s show: identify the top news stories every day and monitor stories that might become more urgent. Keep an eye out for stories that are fascinating but underexplored.
- Find and pitch guests who can speak with verve and break down intimidating stories
- Edit audio quickly and flawlessly on Pro Tools
- Cultivate our network of friends of the show. You are a collector of fun people, you are a natural casting director, you are helping our host put together the best daily party available for download.
- Take regular turns on a late shift to post the day’s show
- At least one year of experience in hard news
- At least three years of experience in audio editing. Excellent digital audio editing skills on Pro Tools, Adobe Audition, or Hindenburg.
- An abiding love for wallowing in tape. You will have to do a lot of audio editing.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Great news judgment
- Humility. We are assembling a team of X-Men, and everyone has a superpower, but you must respect your team and the outer bounds of your knowledge.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
Slate is a multimedia digital publishing company focused on covering culture, technology, politics, current events, and business. Over the past 20 years, our smart, witty takes have been recognized with numerous accolades and have won us industry recognition, including the National Magazine Award for General Excellence Online. Our readers are aggressively curious about the world—and so are our employees.
Slate is an affiliate of Graham Holdings. Read the Graham Holdings Company California Worker Privacy Statement here.