San Francisco, CA
Smallstep is building an open source identity authority plus toolchain - called step - that lets software teams securely connect and operate apps running across clouds, containers, serverless, and connected devices. We believe the only way to successfully secure cloud-native computing is to move past perimeter security using world-class PKI (certificates) and mutual TLS.
Smallstep is a nimble deep-tech startup of seasoned experts In San Francisco. We are looking for a Developer Relations professional who can assist our community with implementations, trainings, and technical questions, As the first Developer Advocate at smallstep you’ll be responsible for driving awareness and participation in the smallstep open source community . This position is ideally in San Francisco but we encourage remote applicants.
You are great with people, especially engineers
- You have strong knowledge of modern cloud architectures and popular development tools, platforms, and/or relevant frameworks
- You feel comfortable walking users through new scenarios and technical implementations.
- You are a documentation and content machine - comfortable speaking anywhere, at any time, to anyone.
- Technologies such as HTTPS/TLS, certificates (X.509), and OAuth are not foreign to you.
- You have spent 2+ years working with developers.
- You document everything and make it easy for others to find and take action against.
You want to join a tight-knit team
- You love open source software and communities
- You believe distributed systems deserve great security out-of-the-box
- You want to be part of the paradigm shift to move past network perimeter security
- You are collaborative, low-ego, and results-driven
- You like making impactful contributions but also enjoy helping others do the same
- You want to work with founders in a fast-growing startup with excellent investors
- Interest or passion to evangelize through speaking & writing (nice to have)
At smallstep, we work reasonable, flexible hours. We look for people who are thoughtful, can break down problems, and often work individually. You are trusted to work on your own and to ask for help when blocked. As an early stage startup, smallstep teams get the benefit of working across many areas and contributing directly to the success of the organization. smallstep is a two-year-old well-funded startup backed by Accel, boldstart.vc and upside partnership.