Head of Design
Remote (CA, OR, WA, NV) /
Smartcar is on a mission to make it easy for everyone to use the apps and services they love with their car. We build developer-friendly APIs which makes it easy for businesses to integrate their products with vehicles of any brand using a single integration.
Founded in 2015, Smartcar has raised $36M from Andreessen Horowitz, New Enterprise Associates, and Energize Ventures. We are now the leading developer platform for mobility businesses across North America and Europe serving amazing customers including brands like British Petroleum (BP), Turo, and more.
Innovative mobility companies use our API platform to verify mileage, issue digital car keys, manage EV charging schedules, monitor fleets, and much more.
All of our openings are remote. We’d love for you to join us!
As Smartcar’s Head of Design, you will have the opportunity to partner with our product and engineering teams to create innovative and consistent designs throughout Smartcar’s visual experiences. You will lead the vision, strategy, planning, and execution of product design at Smartcar.
- Own Smartcar’s product design process end-to-end
- Quickly produce wireframes, and prototypes before transforming into high-fidelity visual designs
- Participate in user research and usability testing and incorporate insights into new product features that delight our customers
- Identify both small and large usability issues within the product experience and work with product and engineering to address them
- Utilize data to help inform design decisions and test new designs
- Balance short-term needs with evolving the vision and long-term view
- Organize and maintain our database of digital assets and design mocks
- Work closely with our founders, product, and engineering teams to review product design and implementation details
- Build personal and organizational empathy towards our app developers and consumers
- Contribute to our company strategy and decision-making around our products
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience as a product designer and have worked with in-house design teams
- Proficient building designs in Figma
- Experience designing cross-platform web-based interfaces
- Ability to design and ship products that have a technical user base
- Ability to quickly understand problems and identify the right solutions
- Self-starter with a strong opinion, autonomy and intuition for design
- Demonstrated love for an iterative design process and for collaborating closely with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
Compensation and Benefits Package
- Base salary determined by years of experience: $135,000 - $180,000
- Remote work within the United States
- Health, Dental and Vision covered at 90% for all plans and 80% coverage for dependents, which amounts to approximately $11,000 a year
- 401K matching at 4%
- Unlimited PTO and 10 days of paid holidays
- Wellness stipend of $50 a month
- Cell phone and Internet stipend of $50 a month
- $300 yearly learning and development stipend
- $350 work-from-home stipend
- 8 weeks of 100% paid parental leave with a 1-week half day ramp back time and a 5 week Freshly subscription
- 10 days of paid bereavement leave
- We do not currently support any new sponsorship opportunities or sponsorship transfers for this role
Recruiter For This Role
Smartcar is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out, in confidence, to email@example.com with how we can help make your interview process as comfortable as possible and how we can provide reasonable accommodations.