Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to advancing sustainability at every phase of the consumer product lifecycle. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, legally compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to minimize valuable product disposal and maximize sustainable alternatives such as donation, reuse, and recycling.
A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
About the Role
Smarter Sorting is seeking a Controller to fill a senior-level role in our finance department. Our Controller is responsible for overseeing all accounting operations, which include budgeting, technical accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and payroll. Our finance and accounting leader will be involved in all aspects of fundraising, financial reporting, and investor communications which is critical to achieving success and moving our company forward.
Ideally, this individual will own accounting, finance, and operational policies and programs, while also communicating business objectives and financial success to the team.
Our Controller will have a unique opportunity to join a close-knit, rapidly growing organization and serve as a key member of our finance department. The growth opportunities for this position are exceptional, as the ideal candidate will have access to the C-Suite and be able to communicate the financial strategy to key external stakeholders on a daily basis.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Direct day-to-day accounting operations, oversee all transactions related to the general ledger, receivables, payables, and payroll
- Fully own all financial, administrative, and operational aspects of accounting, corporate bank management, and vendor management
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implement a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk
- Analyze and report any findings and recommendations regarding the company's financial position with respect to profits, trends, costs, budget compliance, and forecasting
- Manage budget and forecast preparation for the company; perform monthly variance analysis, present findings, monitor and evaluate the company's financial effectiveness
- Oversee the production of periodic financial reports (monthly, quarterly, and annual); ensure that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with senior management to ensure that both operational and financial plans are created and implemented to achieve the company’s goals
- Recommend benchmarks that will be used to measure the company’s performance
- Understand operational challenges and opportunities affecting the company; analyze business trends
- Oversee preparation of tax schedules and returns
- Provide financial analysis, with emphasis on capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Establish a compliance framework and financial processes for business activities, managing outsourced accounting, tax, and compliance service providers
- Work with external auditors and provide critical information for the annual audit
- Prepare financial portion of Board package
- Maintain external credit lines and adherence to reporting requirements
- Assist the Director of HR & Legal Counsel in any and all aspects of the company
Your Experience + Skills:
- Must have 3-5 years of experience in either Big 4 Accounting or a similar field
- Bachelors in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or other related field required (Master’s Degree a plus)
- Certified Public Accountant preferred, but not required
- Proficient in accounting systems such as QuickBooks and/or Xero
- Heavy experience in Budgeting and Financial Modeling
- Excellent PC skills to include expert skill level with Excel, PowerPoint and Google Suite
- Proven track record of handling A/R and A/P processes
- Able to work diligently in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with a demanding leadership team and board
- Excellent payroll and payroll processing systems management (HRIS platforms a plus)
- Experience managing small to midsize team and multiple vendor relations (growth-stage startup a plus)
- Outstanding management and communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Your 1st month:
- Collaborate with each business unit to track and understand their trailing, one week spend
- Get a grasp of the financial and accounting systems we use
- Review the budget and forecast plans for 2020 and beyond
- Recommend ways Smarter Sorting can save money, cut costs, and expand revenue
- Learn about Smarter Sorting’s mission and goals and how they relate to the accounting & finance department
- Develop and execute a detailed plan to enable growth, profitability, and sustainability
Your first 3 months:
- Fully own the budget and understand how it is impacted
- Report to the board on budget actuals/variances, and provide weekly and monthly updates to the leadership team
- Become a subject matter expert on all existing processes and document improvements needed for each from an operational and strategic perspective
- Perform all tasks and begin to understand the industry in more depth
- Provide analytical data to leadership team to help improve the business and its metrics
Your first 6 months:
- Understand Smarter Sorting’s past funding rounds, and prepare for a Series B round
- Understand Smarter Sorting’s big-picture vision and be able to communicate it to external stakeholders
- Drive costs and revenue based off of Smarter Sorting’s big-picture vision
- Create and improve policies and automation to help grow and sustain the accounting and finance department
- Collaborate with departments outside of accounting & finance to remove pain points
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners