Software Developer (Infrastructure & Tooling)
Your goal is to boost the developer teams' productivity and happiness by improving our development environments and continuous deployment setup. We're building development environments and CI pipelines on Kubernetes, as it's not possible to run our tens of microservices and their databases on a single laptop.
Our toolchain is:
Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, Logstash, Jenkins, Grafana
Postgres, MongoDB, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch
Hybrid Cloud: 900+ dedicated servers and Private Cloud, Infrastructure as code
Our workplace is flexible, and as a part of our DevOps team, you can choose the best ways for you to work, attending development teams dailies and retros that are all located here in Helsinki.
We value if you have:
- Good knowledge of at least one programming language. Smartly.io uses mainly Python, Ruby, TypeScript, PHP
- Containerizing application and deployment to production (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge in good security practices, including network security, system hardening, secure software, compliance GDPR.
- Familiar with automated build pipeline / continuous integration using Jenkins, Hubot, Kubernetes/Docker. With this setup, we're deploying to production 20 times per day.
Bonus points, if you have:
- Production experience with distributed/scalable systems consisting of multiple microservices and high traffic web applications
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet
- Extensive knowledge of the Linux operating system
- You have troubleshooting skills that range from diagnosing low-level OS issues to large-scale failures within distributed systems.
- Know how the web works and HTTP fundamentals.
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing and firewalling.
Benefits of Working at Smartly.io:
- Work with the nicest and brightest teammates in a self-organizing team.
- Opportunity to travel to meet customers, Facebook and Smartlies at our offices around the world via our Developer Rotation program.
- Competitive salary + option plans.
- Recharge yourself with full 5 weeks of paid annual leave.
- Healthcare insurance/service.
- Wellness and personal development (tools, events, etc.) reimbursement.
- Enjoy weekly breakfasts and quarterly dinners with the team.
What to expect from our recruiting process
1. First meeting: before diving deeper into your tech skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Smartly.io.
2. Technical interview: we’ll discuss various areas from frontend development to networks, security, and development methods. We’re trying to get a clear overview of your skills and where you could learn more. We don’t expect anyone to be an expert in everything.
3. Coding exercise: we’ll be pair programming a simple a Node.js app to make sure that you can also work with code. Previous experience with Node.js is not necessarily required, as the session will be very interactive.
4. Meet your future DevOps team to learn what they are working with. After that the final interview with our Chief Product Officer and your team lead.
Who we are
Smartly.io is a fast-growing team of 330+ Humble Hungry Hunters. We are building a B2B SaaS product to fully automate and optimize online marketing at scale for the largest advertisers across the globe. We are a global company with 36 nationalities and footholds in 16 cities, serving 600+ brands across the globe.
We’re building the best product company to work for, where highly autonomous engineering teams can take full ownership of creating a world-class software platform. As an engineer at Smartly.io you get to tackle challenges of considerable scale and complexity. We develop our product at a fast pace and in close cooperation with the largest online businesses globally, including Uber, eBay and Zalando.
We build tools that help our customers work more effectively. Our product is at the core of how business is done today: it allows brands grow their business online, across platforms like Facebook, Pinterest and Google. We automate all repetitive manual work to help them grow their sales, not headcount.
Engineers at Smartly.io say they chose us thanks to the great work culture and smart colleagues. We only hire to elevate the team, not to delegate tasks, which means that everyone you work with is a true professional. We believe in self-organization, transparency and candid feedback—everyone can speak up and help make better decisions together. Learn more about how we work at smartly.io/culturehandbook.