Product & Engineering – Data Science Engineering /
We are looking for an experienced data scientist who is eager to turn data science into fully automated, data-driven, scalable products that provide value for our customers.
You'll be working in a highly autonomous self-organizing development team that owns its roadmap and chooses its own technologies. You’ll develop the product at a fast pace with other data scientists and developers, and occasionally also with our end users—the largest online marketers globally.
To get an idea of the kind of work we do, see for example these blog posts:
What will you do:
- Use your skills in Bayesian analysis, statistics, and machine learning to create new ways to optimize online marketing and automate our customers’ work.
- Test and prototype your ideas, then take them to production by working closely with our team of software engineers.
- Validate your ideas by working closely with customers.
- Learn about our product, ad tech and online advertising so that in time you will be able to define yourself what you should be working on.
What will you need:
- Programming skills to build both prototypes and high quality production code related to data science. For data science we use primarily Python, but being familiar with other modern languages like Node.js/Typescript is beneficial.
- Good understanding of Bayesian modelling with modern tools (Stan, PyMc3, or Edward).
- Experience of applying machine learning to real-life problems.
- Ability to collect and join data from various APIs and databases.
- A pragmatic mindset. We always aim to create value to our customers. We’re also working on an existing system and our customers’ business depends on it.
- Drive to continuously learn new things by reading, building and testing new technologies on the job. You should also enjoy teaching others around you.
Bonus points, if you have any of the following:
- Knowledge of how the web works (REST API design, HTTP fundamentals, web frontends and security practices).
- Background in developing software as part of a larger team.
- Experience in building large-scale data processing pipelines.
Benefits of working with us:
- Competitive salary + option plans.
- Recharge yourself with full 5 weeks of paid annual leave.
- Healthcare insurance/service.
- Paid parental leave.
- Wellness and personal development (books, conference tickets, etc.) reimbursement.
- Work with the nicest and brightest teammates in a self-organizing team.
- Enjoy weekly breakfasts and quarterly dinners with the team.
What to expect from our recruitment process
1. First meeting: before diving deeper into your tech skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Smartly.io.
2. Technical interview: we’ll discuss areas relevant to you ranging from ML and Bayesian methods to computer networks, programming and development methods. We’re trying to get a clear overview of your skills and where you could learn more.
3. Analytics exercise: we’ll run through a real-life data analytics exercise to make sure that you can also code. You can use your favourite language for data analytics (R, Python, Jupyter Notebooks). The session will be very interactive.
Who we are
Smartly.io is building a platform to automate every step of social advertising to unlock greater performance and creativity. We are a global team of over 350 Smartlies with footholds in 17 cities, serving more than 650 brands worldwide, including eBay, Uber and Zalando.
We’re building the best product company to work for, where highly autonomous engineering teams can take full ownership of creating world-class software. As a Smartlie engineer, you get to tackle challenges of considerable scale and complexity. We develop our product at a fast pace and in close cooperation with the largest online businesses globally.
We take ownership, optimize impact and maximize learning. Smartlies choose us and grow with us thanks to the company culture and smart colleagues. Learn more at smartly.io/culturehandbook.