Mountain View, CA /
Legal – Corporate Counsel /
Did your things make you go “wow” today? At SmartThings, we are dedicated to making every home a Smart Home - and as the IoT platform of Samsung, with millions of users and connected devices, we are well on our way. We strive to create an easy-to-use, secure, and above all intelligent IoT solution for the home that delights our customers. Our fun, intelligent, and creative teams need your help to make our things a little more connected, and a lot smarter.
SmartThings seeks a highly-motivated, mission-driven attorney who is enthusiastic about technology to serve as Corporate Counsel. You will report to the CFO at SmartThings, with support from Samsung’s shared legal services. You enjoy staying on top of industry trends, user behavior, advances in technology; and lastly, you have a personal passion for (and are an early adopter of) emerging consumer technologies.
This role oversees all legal affairs at SmartThings, with a focus on new and existing product lines (including hardware), new lines of business and services, partnerships, and providing guidance on evolving industry standards and practices. You will work closely with Product, Engineering, and Business Operations teams, as well as Legal teams at Samsung Headquarters and the regional subsidiaries (including Samsung Electronics Americas) to apply frameworks to new lines of products and services. The role will also evolve and support SmartThings/Samsung’s IP and Privacy Programs, Partner Contracts including those with service providers and platform developers, and Developer Programs.
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, licensing agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements and supplier contracts
- Review global products, features, platforms and initiatives to provide practical risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple jurisdictions
- Provide product, engineering, and other business teams with legal advice across many subject areas including consumer protection laws, data protection laws and regulations, and other global legal frameworks
- Provide strategic business and legal advice from a commercial, product and privacy perspective
- Create Crisp Decision Making Frameworks: Ability to frame problems, risks, analysis, and legal guidance to enable decision making and drive execution
- An Executive Presence
- 3+ years of legal experience
- J.D. degree and membership with at least one U.S. State Bar
- Experience working with mobile, application development, or consumer internet services
- Experience with drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts (e.g., for platform deals, partnerships/business development deals, inbound/outbound deals, ad deals, and service provider deals).
- Knowledge of general privacy compliance law (e.g., FTC, GDPR, and CCPA) and best practices
- Experience working independently and cross-functionally
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to turn legal analysis into useful strategic insight in order to make appropriate recommendations to partners and the business
- Strong communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing; comfort in business and technical discussions
- Effective at building relationships, collaborating, and influencing others; experience working with and effectively communicating with senior executive across various geographies and functions
- High energy and comfort working in a start-up style environment
- 5+ years of legal experience, including within a reputable law firm and/or in-house experience in a reputable technology company.
- Knowledge of privacy laws (US and international) including GDPR and CCPA and the interaction between privacy laws and contracts.
- Regulatory or litigation experience
- Product review experience
- International experience
- Worked successfully within a matrix management environment
- Experience within the Consumer AI and/or IoT Space
- Ability to Identify connections, adopts different perspectives quickly and responds to changing circumstances in a strategic way to actively shape future results
- Know how to foster a sense of community and build team cohesion
- Have a high level of comfort with ambiguity
- A strong external network in the technology and/or IoT space
- Patent Experience
*Travel: May include 10-15%
Take your career to the next level at SmartThings ....... APPLY TODAY!