Vice President of Engineering
Minneapolis, MN /
Engineering – Technology /
Did your things make you go “wow” today? At SmartThings, we are dedicated to making every home a Smart Home - and as the IoT platform of Samsung, with millions of users and connected devices, we are well on our way. We strive to create an easy-to-use, secure, and above all intelligent IoT solution for the home that delights our customers. Our fun, intelligent, and creative teams need your help to make our things a little more connected, and a lot smarter.
About the Team:
SmartThings is the only truly open IoT platform that supports hundreds of devices for Home Monitoring, Security, and Automation. SmartThings is the largest, most international IoT ecosystem driven by the ubiquity of Samsung Devices.
About the Role:
SmartThings is hiring a VP of Engineering. In this role, you’ll be responsible for recruiting, hiring, growing, and retaining amazing talent into the organization. You’ll build a technology brand that is a talent magnet and ensure we hit our engineering hiring plans. You’ll build and inspire a world-class team of customer-focused engineers who use technology to enable our growing business. You’ll grow the next set of engineering leaders to continue scaling our organization.
As VP of Engineering, you’ll also be responsible for the technology - building a reliable, scalable, secure and highly performant technology stack using industry best practices. You’ll ensure our architecture is flexible and scalable to allow for our rapid growth into new business lines. You’ll be responsible for consistently delivering meaningful features, applications and technology solutions that solve business problems. You’ll consistently communicate and deliver to commitments and increase the velocity of our teams by removing roadblocks. You’ll be responsible for driving new business and growth through engineering solutions.
Finally, this is a strategic role that requires a strong partnership with other functions across the company, and at Samsung HQ. You’ll partner with other senior leaders across the company to translate technology capabilities into strategic business decisions. You’ll build a strong long-term technology strategy that aligns with the company strategic plan and influences the overall company direction. You’ll drive accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results. And you’ll align and inspire your organization by effectively communicating and engaging the team in the strategy.
- Lead the SmartThings cloud engineering team and establish best practice engineering standards and processes. A desire to explore new technical avenues for SmartThings development and growth. This person will create a relentless culture of quality, and establish metrics for all aspects of software engineering, platform performance, quality, and security.
- Serve as the leader and liaison between executive management and engineers. Collaborate with the Leadership Team to develop and maintain a technology vision that supports organizational needs and broader business goals.
- Be a nexus for technology-related issues and key strategic discussions where product development and product management are concerned. He/she will be required to interpret customer and product needs and engineering ability to optimize company development and output. Should have, or quickly develop within herself/himself and the team, deep institutional knowledge of the wide variety of IoT standards, both existing and emerging and successfully evolve the SmartThings architecture, products, and technology partnerships accordingly and in a forward-thinking manner.
- Drive the architecture and delivery of a globally-available and distributed software platform that is reliable, scalable, and secure while meeting regional latency and performance requirements.
- Champion new ideas, capabilities and digital offering solutions needed to drive business growth across connected businesses with IoT platforms, connected technologies, edge capabilities, analytical platforms, operations, and related products.
- Establish enterprise best practices and thought leadership for SmartThings in support of the company’s business models and ensure alignment across all relevant internal organizations.
- Partner with Finance for budget, and ensure alignment with all cost targets
- Manage the financial performance of engineering, evaluate current team capabilities, including planning, budgeting, contractual and human resource requirements. He/she will work closely with finance to develop ROI justification for major initiatives, ensuring that projects are completed on time and stay within budget.
- Partner with Finance and Legal to manage software vendor partnerships and lead negotiations to secure contractual agreements that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Drive agile product and platform development, manage programs and leverage flexible operating models across different geographies, globally.
- Identify, measure and course-correct on success factors and critical metrics of creating and sustaining business value through collaborative cross-enterprise solutions.
- Ensure ROI and revenue/margin impact from every solution and plan for continuous improvement across SmartThings.
- You have 10+ years of engineering management experience in high-growth engineering organizations. You’ve led organizations of 70+ engineers.
- B.S in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent degree is required. M.S. or M.B.A. and/or equivalent work experience would be preferable.
- You’ve worked in a consumer-oriented space and understand building applications and technology that delight and engage consumers and foster growth.
- You have experience working at a large-scale technology company
- You have proven experience building, growing, retaining and inspiring a world-class team of customer-focused technologists.
- You have extensive experience building large-scale technology and applications that are reliable, scalable, secure, and highly performant using industry best practices.
- You have a track record for delivery in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
- A global mindset is a must – experience delivering solutions that span geographies, languages and business models in a matrixed and complex multi-industry organization.
- You champion and drive a culture of continuous learning to improve execution and remove roadblocks that are holding the team back.
- You are a strategic partner who can translate business problems into technology solutions.
- You work effectively across the business to influence and create customer value.
- Excellent oral and written communicator with the ability to present his/her ideas and project status in a clear, concise and accurate fashion to a broad audience.
- Strong coaching and influencing skills providing the ability to influence without having total formal authority.
- Position requires an executive-level professional with demonstrated experience and accomplishments in developing, recommending and influencing decisions based on a strong business case - develop consensus, and communicate effectively in business (non-technical) terms.
*International Travel up to 30%
- A passionate, independent and boundless energetic entrepreneurial spirit, driven by compassion to assist the Company to achieve its growth targets; a strong belief in the Company’s business model.
- A highly creative person able to use both his/her right and left brain functions.
- Goal-oriented, tackling projects aggressively; less talking, more doing.
- A Leader with a team orientation; an open style with a strong work ethic and the ability to be totally involved; works well under pressure and takes leadership responsibility and accountability on meeting deadlines.
- Highly intelligent and decisive; a quick study with high resilience, ability to achieve results and milestones in uncertain development situations; creativity and agility to develop solutions through out-of-box, yet compliant strategic thinking.
- Someone who speaks with authority and leads rather than follows; a thoroughly honest, high-integrity, and a forthright individual who is up-front and direct with subordinates, peers, and top management executives.
- Ability to orchestrate global project plans at multiple U.S. and international locations.
- A take-charge and can-do mentality, roll up your sleeves style is an absolute must.
- Excellent communicator with a broad audience; ability to take down barriers, build a coalition and navigate uncharted waters placing a premium on delivery.
- A value system that matches that of the Company including the highest degrees personal and business honesty, integrity, openness, and a strong belief in treating people fairly with a dedication to meeting and exceeding expectations.
- You empower self-organization and responsibility within your teams
Why You’ll Love Working at SmartThings
- We are a group of bright, kind and goal-oriented people. You can be your authentic self here, and are empowered to encourage others to do the same!
- We are a successful, fast-growing company at the forefront of IoT
- We are a technologically and data-driven business
- We are committed to our customers and developers
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy & taking the initiative
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
Take your career to the next level at SmartThings ....... APPLY TODAY!