Full Stack Engineer
Smile Identity’s mission is to make the benefits of a modern digital lifestyle universally accessible by expanding trust in underserved markets. To do this, we use computer vision, machine learning, human review and local integrations to provide a comprehensive KYC (Know Your Customer) and user identification solution for mobile-first frontier markets, beginning in Africa. We are backed by US and African investors including Vinod Khosla, CRE Venture Capital, Savannah Fund, and PTB Ventures.
We’re looking for a Full Stack Engineer who is as comfortable optimizing SQL queries as they are spinning up new environments on AWS. This person will spend their day touching all aspects of our system, from building AWS resources to a full-stack feature for our dashboard. A morning optimizing SQL queries may be followed by an afternoon pushing a new feature to our React front end. We work fast and expect our new hires to keep up.
This role requires an individual with great communication skills, customer empathy, and the ability to document their code in a way our customers can understand. Our ideal candidate can operate with a high degree of independence, yet integrate seamlessly into the team, defending their technical approach effectively when pressed, but accepting feedback and learning from mistakes quickly. Our team is distributed and often works remotely, so it is imperative that candidates for this role be efficient self-starters who can deliver consistently without a lot of management.
What You Will Do
- Work with our Lead Full Stack Engineer to ensure high-availability systems, while providing the continuous deployment of new features
- Build and create the tools that our partners and our team will use to develop identity solutions to bring new, life-changing opportunites to our target markets
- Develop scalable processes, FAQs and documentation to reduce integration time and improve customer success and happiness
- Optimize our existing code while removing technical debt, and improve the reliability of our system
- Build comprehensive, end-to-end solutions to the problems our partners see in the field
- Work with a bunch of passionate people, committed to the cause of expanding trust in underserved markets
- BS in Computer Science and/or 5+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent knowledge of SQL, specifically Postgres
- Experience with AWS using a variety of their services
- Experience in a high-growth team or startup is a plus
- Entrepreneurial spirit, a willingness to speak up and speak the truth
- Experience with security and pen-testing
- Experience with React
- Experience with C or C++
- A personal connection to the African continent
Perks, Comp & Benefits
- Purpose: This is one of those rare chances in life to work on something that has real meaning. The code you handle will be touched, used and appreciated by many people on their way to accessing to a better, richer life with more opportunities. They are the reason we are building this company
- Significant international travel opportunities
- Salary & equity commensurate with experience
- Health insurance
- Flexible hours, personal growth and autonomy
About Smile Identity
At Smile Identity we believe anyone should be able to prove their identity easily, anywhere in the world. Our team is made up of American and African engineers and financial services professionals with experience across global markets in highly regulated environments. We’ve built encryption, authentication and security solutions. We’ve developed image-processing technology from the chip level up. We’ve been part of security investigations and have pursued fraudsters. Having worked with, or for, telecoms, lenders, banks and startups, we know the challenges of building world-class technology and we understand the needs of the African consumer and enterprise customer.