Smile Identity’s mission is to make the benefits of a modern digital lifestyle universally accessible by expanding trust in underserved markets. To do this, we use computer vision, machine learning, human review and local integrations to provide a comprehensive KYC (Know Your Customer) and user identification solution for mobile-first frontier markets, beginning in Africa. We are backed by US and African investors including Vinod Khosla, CRE Venture Capital, Savannah Fund, and PTB Ventures.
Product management is a multi-disciplinary leadership role. The most successful PMs have a love for building great products that meet customer's needs. While Smile Identity has a strong product vision, we are looking for a talented product manger with an knack for UX design and experience turning ideas into prototypes and products, through modern, iterative development, customer feedback and analysis — in emerging markets.
The ideal candidate for PM is a formidable person. They know how to get things done and how to work with a diverse and distributed team to accomplish a big vision. The Product Manager will work closely with our Engineering Team in Silicon Valley, our Ops Teams in Africa, and our Founding CEO to develop and grow the features, displays, interfaces, alerts, messages, system configurations and overall utility of our identity products, on mobile devices and the web.
- 2-4 years of prior mobile and/or web product or project management experience and a track record of launching products in Africa, Asia or similar emerging markets
- Respect for, and proven ability to work with, engineers and designers in an organized manner, building and shipping products often and iterating to improve quickly
- Strong but informed opinions about user navigation and “call-to-actions” on web and mobile
- An eye for design and ability to quickly wire-frame ideas — Candidate can turn abstract ideas into low-touch but technically accurate pages and user flows that can be polished by the design team
- Big plus if candidate has superior design skills and can work with tools like Sketch, Photoshop, Invision, Zeppelin, Figma, etc.
- Empathy for the interfaces and Internet environments that users in data-constrained, device-diverse markets regularly experience
- Solid communication skills and the ability to turn business requirements into detailed written and illustrated tech specifications for our engineers
- Ability to do basic SQL queries to dig into the data, tracking user journeys and measuring feature performance
- Highly organized and goal oriented, and familiar with task management software (Trello/Jira)
- Chemistry with the Mgmt Team — able to work well on personal level with the CEO, CTO and Director of Ops
- Engineering or Technical Degree
- Experience conducting customer interviews with prototypes, building personas or user stories and A-B testing to confirm hypotheses
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies and Scrum — first learn the rules, then break them
- Familiarity with tools like Google Analytics, Fabric, Segment and basic SQL
- Eventually you may manage a data analyst who is responsible for these
- A personal connection to Africa and prior work/life experience in ECOWAS or EAC countries
Perks, Comp & Benefits
- Responsibility: Be a key part of a Silicon Valley venture-backed startup
- Exposure: This is a front row seat to the technology boom in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ownership: Globally competitive salary with significant equity component
- Health insurance reimbursement
- Purpose: This is one of those rare chances in life to work on something that has real impact and potential for massive scale
- Periodic travel across Africa and annually to the US
About Smile Identity
At Smile Identity we believe anyone should be able to prove their identity easily, anywhere in the world. Our team is made up of American and African engineers and financial services professionals with experience across global markets in highly regulated environments. We’ve built encryption, authentication and security solutions. We’ve developed image-processing technology from the chip level up. We’ve been part of security investigations and have pursued fraudsters. Having worked with, or for, telecoms, lenders, banks and startups, we know the challenges of building world-class technology and we understand the needs of the African consumer and enterprise customer.