San Francisco, CA /
Central Kitchen /
We’re looking for a ROCK STAR culinary lead to join our highly productive, talented and tight-knit pastry team, working with Chef and Culinary Director, Brooke Mosley! The full-time Kitchen Lead position is located in the hip Mission district of San Francisco.
The Kitchen Lead will help steer our commissary kitchen in crafting signature ice cream flavors, toppings and bakeshop items.
Under the guidance of Chef Brooke, we develop and scale each recipe in our commissary kitchen and make everything from our waffle cones, to our brownies, to our sauces from scratch!
Perks? Of course! We offer extremely competitive pay, medical, dental and vision benefits in addition to ice cream (duh!). Additionally, we pride ourselves on offering a tremendous leadership and learning opportunity, with thorough training and mentorship. Working hours expectation: 7 AM – 3 PM, and weekday and weekend shifts are available. The commissary kitchen location is co-located with our central corporate office, so the kitchen team is interwoven with the leadership team, giving the culinary team the recognition and respect it deserves!
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive pay plus opportunities for stock options and cash bonus.
- An entrepreneurial work environment where you can have an impact on a local, San Francisco-based, growing company.
- A mentorship committed to training and helping you to thrive within the company.
- A welcoming and supportive team where diversity and creativity are valued.
- Health and dental coverage.
- You have experience working in a pastry production kitchen, with a focus on creating new recipes and menu items.
- You are skilled at precisely following and training recipes.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing entrepreneurial environment.
- You think on your feet and solve problems quickly.
- You are comfortable leading a team, while also playing an integral part of production and have experience managing a team of at least 3 individuals.
- You have a passion for food, take pride in your work and strive for perfection.
- You have an excellent work ethic and work with efficiency and precision.
- You come to work with high energy, a can-do spirit and an ability to add to a fun, fast-paced environment.
- Love of baking and experience baking is a huge plus!
Specific Kitchen Lead Role Responsibilities:
- Kitchen Production
- Ensure all product quality, facility cleanliness, and food safety standards are upheld during and after production of all menu items.
- Ensure accurate execution of all preparation techniques and methods, including jams and syrups, caramels, sauces, confections and baked items.
- Partner with Culinary Director to establish recipe guidelines, test equipment, implement kitchen management processes, develop new recipes, and expand Smitten’s culinary program.
- Partner with Culinary Director and the kitchen team to ensure smooth operations in the central kitchen facility.
- Team Leadership
- Lead the kitchen crew in the production of recipes (ranging from ice cream bases to mix-ins and cones) in a timely manner.
- Inventory & Cost Management
- Maintain inventory and manage costs.
- Oversee production to minimize waste.
Kitchen Lead Requirements:
- 1+ year kitchen/pastry experience
- 6+ months kitchen leadership experience
- Baking experience (and love of baking) strongly preferred
- Culinary school or food industry-specific experience preferred
- Product development experience is a huge plus
- Experience working in the growth phase of an organization is a plus
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to create real impact
- Excellent work ethic and availability in-line with business needs (including at least 1 weekend day/week)
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs (bags of flour are heavy!)
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours at a time
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Must pass a background check and have up-to-date Food Safety Certification
Smitten® is a pledge to ice cream. We serve the freshest, smoothest scoops made with only unprocessed, real, locally sourced ingredients — fresh-churned by Smitten’s one-of-a-kind Brrr® ice cream machine.
In 2009, on a mission to reengineer ice cream from the ground up, founder and CEO Robyn Sue Fisher invented and patented her own ice cream machine that could churn ultra-smooth scoops in about 90 seconds. She put Smitten® on the map when she placed her custom-built “Brrr®” machine atop a Radio Flyer wagon and started selling her churned-to-order ice cream on the streets of San Francisco to the crowds that gathered, soon building a cult-like following.
Touted by Vogue as “The freshest, if not the best, ice cream on Earth,” and featured in a vast array of media, from Food & Wine and Forbes to Wired and TechCrunch, Smitten is setting the bar for mastery of the perfect scoop. Smitten® is available at five popular retail shops in Northern California and for delivery nationwide.
Robyn Sue and the Smitten® crew continue to trailblaze the path of making fresh ice cream with the highest integrity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We encourage candidates from underrepresented populations to apply.