Engineering Manager (Remote)
Technology – Engineering /
SnackNation has rebranded itself Caroo as it experiences rapid-growth, expands its employee care offerings & launches a SaaS platform to pair-up with its direct-to-employee logistics solution. “We never saw SnackNation as a food or snack company. It was always an employee care company,” said Sean Kelly, Caroo’s CEO.
We now live in a work-from-anywhere economy. In this new world, employees and employers are facing new challenges. Work culture is rapidly evolving and leaders are trying to determine how to take care of their teams. Outdated and expensive employee care solutions focus solely on the physical office space and are one-size-fits-all. Only one option exists to provide economical, personalized care in the work-from-anywhere world, which requires data, AI and forecasting to be most effective and efficient.
To take advantage of this opportunity and leverage the company's current positioning and core competencies, Caroo is expanding beyond food and drink delivery to become a software-enabled employee care platform that will manage and deliver all of a company's tangible care needs. Over the past few months, the company has already signed up more than 3,000 new enterprise clients with their various wellness box solutions. A product-zeitgeist fit exists, and Caroo is focused on becoming the market leader in this new world of work.
Caroo curates healthier snacks, premium gifts, and team building experiences which it is delivering via its own software and technology platform. The shift comes after the dramatic shift to remote work due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because work is far less office-centric, it has launched such products as an Inspire Collection and Amplify Box, products which are designed to help work-from-anywhere employees feel inspired, cared for, and appreciated. Those offerings include curated healthy snacks and beverages, gifts, and team-building experiences all designed to connect employees, recognize them (celebrations, anniversaries, birthdays, onboarding), and nourish them month-over-month.
As Caroo rebrands and enters an expanded market, with a significant expansion of product SKUs and a much larger, more ambitious tech strategy, they are seeking an Engineering Manager with a proven track record of success leading a team of talented engineers.
The engineering mission of Caroo is to build a scalable, resilient, and secure platform to serve both its enterprise and individual customers. The Manager of Software Engineering will report directly to the VP/CTO, responsible for setting the culture and cadence for the technology department. Fostering strong relationships, increasing engineering velocity, and achieving schedule predictability is of the utmost importance. We are looking for someone who will help their team improve the technical quality of their work through regular technical design and code reviews and communicate effectively with engineers, product managers, and other leaders.
This opportunity is open to remote or working directly from Los Angeles or Chicago headquarters. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
What You'll Do:
- Along with the CTO and VP of Technology, act as a coach and mentor to our talented team of engineers and participate in the hiring/onboarding process for new team members
- Be an active participant in building Caroo’s platform architecture, frameworks, and new features for our fast-growing and evolving application with daily deployments and real-time metrics
- Lead and participate in code reviews
- Work closely with Engineering and Product to create the foundation for how we build data-driven applications, tools, and experiences for our customers and brand partners.
Who You Are:
- Someone who deeply cares about coaching, mentoring, and growing highly productive teams, and has 3+ years of proven experience
- Believe in hiring individuals who are smarter than you, and make sure the best ideas win.
- Proven and progressive experience with a full-stack framework like Python-Django, Ruby-on-Rails, etc.
- Experience with databases and data modeling using MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience with REST or GraphQL APIs and architectural patterns
- Fluent in Agile methodology and processes, and be SCRUM owner
- Strong sense of ownership, accountability, and delivery
- Strong communications skills within the engineering and cross-functional teams.
Our Tech Stack:
- Testing: RSpec, Capybara, Jasmine, Jest, Enzyme
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis
Life at Caroo
Caroo was founded to build a future of work where people feel connected wherever they are and companies can easily create their own unique culture that grows, adapts, and evolves just as they do.
Caroo’s mission is simple: To nourish and inspire people to do the best work of their lives. The company believes that when people feel seen, their talents shine. When people feel valued, they add value exponentially. And when people feel connected, there’s no limit to what they can achieve together. That’s why Caroo is obsessed with helping companies everywhere create meaningful moments of care that empower their teams to thrive.
Our commitment to delivering care and kindness starts with our own talented team and the communities we live in. Caroo is Great Places to Work Certified and has been named one of Entrepreneur’s Top Company Cultures. Our values center the whole human and empower our employees to care for their physical and mental wellbeing.
Caroo is a proud partner of Feeding America - donating meals to families in need for every Caroo product purchased. Since the partnership was established in 2016, Caroo has donated more than 17 million meals to families impacted by food insecurity.
Caroo is backed by venture capital firms like 3L Capital and has earned accolades in INC, Forbes, Fast Company. In two of the last three years, Caroo earned a spot on the Inc 5000’s list in 2018 and 2019 and was ranked the 2nd fastest growing company in LA. If you want to make an impact, take on a lot of responsibility and be a part of a thriving cloud culture, join us. We promise to help you grow professionally and personally, all while being surrounded by good people looking to transform the way companies care for their employees.
We’re Caroo. Welcome to the future of work!