Software Engineering Lead - Data
Engineering – Data /
Snaptravel is an AI commerce startup, allowing millions of users around the world to book their travel over messaging. By the end of 2021 we’re expecting to be driving $1B in revenue from travel and other exciting verticals beyond travel too (we’ll tell you more about those during the interview process)!
With a high-performing team of world class leaders, Snaptravel thrives on tackling complex problems within AI, Ecommerce, and Conversational Design to push the boundaries of the value we can add to our user’s lives!
At Snaptravel, we pride ourselves on the performance-driven environment we’ve created for our team to prosper and excel. Our values are rooted in making data driven-decisions and risk-taking actions that add value to both the user and the company.
About the Role
We are looking for a Data Engineering Lead to join our growing Data Analytics team! The role will be responsible for building the vision and execution of Operational Data Systems at Snaptravel, including infrastructure, ML/AI, predictive cohorts, and recommender systems embedded in our product. You will work closely with a full-stack team of Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Analytics Engineers to further enhance how our data team works with stakeholders. We have a modern data technology stack using Stitch, Airflow, Snowflake, dbt, Looker and a proprietary logging pipeline that manages millions of events per day. We have state of the art Analytic Systems: ingestion, warehousing. documentation and dashboarding. Some of this role will be to continue to level up those systems and fix them when they break. We are looking for someone who can also leverage our large-scale data on user-behaviour with our product using predictive analytics, segmentation or other initiatives that deliver business value. In this role, you will be a thought partner with business stakeholders helping to build upon the algorithms that help deliver a better customer experience.
- Data Platform Vision: Articulate a strategic vision for your team covering the business plan, technology, tools, and operations, and align that with various other teams across the company. Enforce best practices and workflows that improve the use of data across the organization
- People Leader: You will hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverable at high frequencies, and exchange actionable feedback.
- Solution Architecture: you will gather and help shape requirements for business initiatives and translate those requirements into designing and building solutions that scale and can be leveraged across applications
- AI Behavior Service: You will architect a real time inference engine that predicts user behavior using SOTA deep learning models.
- Data Engineering Health: You will promote the health (integrity, reliability, cost) of our data platform with code reviews, technical mentorship, tech talks (internal + external) and expansion of best practices
- Project Management: you will lead data projects from start to finish, showing your ability to manage scope, work with ambiguity
- Experimentation Framework: Build upon the framework already in place to support our product team in creating AB testing to drive hypothesis-driven innovation
- Data-driven Culture: you will be an ambassador for our data-driven culture, taking data and using it to answer business questions and drive strategy & decision making
- You enjoy managing people and are very good at it. That means you’ve had several direct reports for at least two years and you’ve demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members.
- You have operationalized ML/AI in previous organizations, enhancing UX/UI using event streaming, customer info, or other logs
- You have extensive experience using Python to support data infrastructure
- You have worked as an engineering lead in a fast-paced environment
- You are outstanding at pulling, cleaning and manipulating large sets of complex data and clean them into structure that are easy to understand
- You understand that some systems need to be built to scale, and others need to be built fast.
- You can make those tradeoffs and explain them simply to stakeholders
- Extensive experience operating large scale data pipelines and databases.
- You have worked with and designed Data Warehouses (Redshift/Snowflake/BigQuery)
- You are a problem solver with strong project management skills who can ruthlessly prioritize different business initiatives
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.