Deputy General Counsel, Go-to-Market
San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
Snowflake is seeking an experienced and highly motivated, self-starter attorney to lead Snowflake’s newly forming global Go-To-Market (“GTM”) Commercial legal team. The GTM legal team is a group of attorneys responsible for negotiating Snowflake’s sales transactions, providing legal support to Snowflake’s sales team. As the head of the GTM legal function, this legal leader will guide contracts through review, negotiation and execution, and ensure that the legal department is enabling the sales process.
The role requires leadership, strategic vision, high self-motivation, a willingness to dive into technical details, smart risk assessment in an extremely fast paced and exhilarating environment. The role is preferably based in the San Francisco area and reports directly to the Chief Legal Officer. Another location option is Bellevue, WA.
- Overall responsibility for our commercial legal work, including partnering with key leaders on their go-to-market strategy and planning
- Recruit strategically and lead the team to scale globally and align with the expanding sales organization
- Create and manage education, information, and training programs for the sales organization on negotiation best practices, relevant legal issues
- Advise internal clients regarding legal issues, including identifying, managing, and communicating risks and opportunities in commercial transactions and provide input and leadership into practical and strategy practices across the business
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Snowflake’s privacy, security, and finance teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes
- Manage the team that will draft and negotiate sales-related agreements
- Ensure alignment with corporate contract management policies.
- Collaborate closely with the legal operations functions that will enable the contracting process
The ideal candidate will have:
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California or Washington
- Minimum of 15 years of experience focused on commercial law with at least five years in a corporate legal department
- Minimum of 5 years of people leadership experience in building, running and/or developing high-performing teams required
- Demonstrated experience negotiating complex commercial transactions, with issues related to privacy, security, intellectual property
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Working understanding of business models, sales motion, global commercial negotiation practices and revenue recognition standards
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, dynamic environment of consistent rapid growth, including working with technology driven companies
- A confirmed ability to effectively influence, lead, collaborate with and motivate others at all levels,
- Strong team, business, project and people management skills
- Exceptional business negotiation skills and effective client counseling skills
- Creative, with ability to solve complex problems while balancing legal risks with business needs
- High personal standards of excellence and ethics, as well as the ability to act with discretion, strict confidentiality and sensitivity towards issues and individuals
- Innate curiosity, desire and ability to learn rapidly, resiliency and comfort serving as trusted business partner
- Familiarity and comfort with technology
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally occasionally
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.