Intern - Software Engineer, Infrastructure
San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
Who We Are
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud.
Our (beautiful!) offices are located in San Mateo, CA. We blend a lot of hard work with a culture that thrives on its diverse people and opinions, while making sure we also have fun.
What We Offer:
- Well paid, full-time internships in the heart of the software industry
- Post-internship career opportunities (full-time and/or additional internships)
- Exposure to a fast-paced, yet fun, startup culture
- A chance to work with world-class experts on challenging projects
- Opportunity to provide meaningful contributions to a real system used by customers
- High level of access to supervisors (manager and mentor), detailed direction without micromanagement, feedback throughout your internship, and a final evaluation
- Stuff that matters: treated as a member of the Snowflake team, included in company meetings/activities, flexible hours, casual dress code, catered lunches, PS4, pool and ping-pong tables, happy hours, company outings, swag, and much more
What We Expect:
- Desired class level: 3rd/4th year Undergraduates, Masters, or PhD
- Desired majors: Computer Science or related field
- When: Summer (May-Aug)
- Duration: We recommend 12-16 weeks, but no fewer than 10 weeks
- Excellent programming skills (Python & C++ or Java)
- Services and infrastructure mindset and exposure
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloud based infrastructure systems is a plus
- Experience with Linux environments and scripting experience
- Experience and knowledge of Git, JIRA, and Jenkins a plus
- Able to debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex technical issues
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Self-driven & motivated, with a strong work ethic and a passion for problem solving
- Strong problem solving and ability to learn quickly in a dynamic environment
- You have experience working as a systems engineer in a services, cloud or enterprise environment, and have implemented solutions/services that are hallmark of reliability, scalability, availability, and ease of use.
What You Will Learn/Gain:
- Building enterprise grade, reliable, and trustworthy software/services
- Providing highly available, reliable and scalable tools/services infrastructure that enables our engineering teams to develop, test, debug and release enterprise software quickly
- Exposure to Distributed Systems, Infrastructure, and Automation challenges
- Building automation frameworks for Cloud based, SaaS Data Warehouse services
- Exposure to SQL and/or other database technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop)
- Understanding of database internals, large-scale data processing, and data warehouse design
Possible Work Focus Areas:
- Contribute to engineering efforts from planning and organization to execution and delivery to solve complex engineering problems in tools and testing
- Design and build advanced test automation frameworks.
- Design and build tooling and infrastructure to help engineering teams measure and increase their velocity
Applications received that do not include an attached resume and unofficial transcripts will not be considered. Thanks!
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.