Engineering Manager - Cloud Infrastructure
San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
We’re searching for talented Cloud Infrastructure Engineering Managers to join us for our efforts building out the Snowflake platform on a broad set of Cloud providers. Our team at Snowflake has responsibility for the infrastructure layer in development and production. As our team is growing rapidly to keep up with this broad responsibility alongside Snowflake’s immense growth, we need additional managerial talent to help lead the charge.
Engineering Managers at Snowflake are expected to have a technical background, and will have either prior experience in the domain they are managing, or the talent to learn the area if required. Outside of Engineering-specific decision making we set a high bar for ourselves in terms of critical thinking, communication, and sound decision making. We feel that managers who share a belief in the importance of these non-technical traits alongside the pan-Valley desire to build scalable, easy to maintain systems, will excel in our environment.
As Engineering Manager - Cloud Infrastructure at Snowflake you will:
- Directly manage a talented team of Infrastructure Engineering ICs, and will provide:
- *Support, guidance and feedback
- *Career guidance
- *Enable staff to do what they love
- Recruit, interview, and hire new team members.
- Collaborate with other Engineering Managers and Product Managers on project schedules, resource allocations, etc.
- Lead large, complicated projects alongside Individual Contributor technology leads.
- Work on providing a highly automated cloud-based runtime environment for scaling a distributed, multi-tenant, high performance compute system.
- Utilize your experience and problem solving skills to help prevent and investigate production issues.
- Participate in the design and implementation of the Snowflake service on an ever-expanding set of Cloud Providers.
- Participate in a shared on-call rotation.
Ideal Infrastructure Engineers at Snowflake will demonstrate the following:
- A demonstrable track record of success at managing talented engineers.
- A clear track record of recruiting and retention in a demanding talent market.
- Engineering related work in a Private or Public Cloud Environment.
- Deep understanding of *NIX systems, networking, system automation, software development, and testing.
- Extremely strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Prior experience supporting an Internet-facing application at scale.
Bonus points for experience with the following:
- Prior Hashicorp toolchain experience (Terraform, Packer, Vault, Consul) etc.
- Prior Ansible or Chef experience.
- Formal software engineering background (aka CS degree).
- Prior experience with time-series based monitoring / observability systems.
- Prior experience with distributed systems.
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.