San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
We are seeking a Patent Attorney to join our Legal team, reporting directly to the Deputy General Counsel - IP & Litigation. This attorney must be a highly motivated and qualified individual with substantive industry experience and degree in computer science or a related field to help us protect our industry-leading innovation. Together with outside counsel, you will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of the company’s patent prosecution strategy. You will also share responsibility for many other IP issues in a fast-moving and dynamic environment ranging from trademark, to open source, licensing, and other issues. This candidate must have superb technical, written and verbal communication skills and be well-organized. Broad knowledge in computer science is required and expertise in database and SaaS/cloud technologies is strongly preferred. The candidate must possess initiative, be a fast learner, work well with others, and have a great sense of humor.
- Work collaboratively with inventors, product managers, and executives to shape Snowflake’s intellectual property strategy, policies and procedures;
- Work with the engineers, product management, and product marketing teams to identify and prioritize patentable inventions;
- Together with outside counsel, prepare and prosecute high-quality patent assets, providing technical, legal, and strategic input to ensure overall work quality;
- Implement processes to scale the IP program and provide quality metrics, reporting, and budgeting to management; and
- Assist with other IP issues including trademark, copyright, open source, trade secrets, licensing efforts, and similar IP-related topics.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a law firm, USPTO, or in-house, prosecuting software/database patents required; candidates with 5 or more years preferred;
- Industry experience and/or an advanced degree in computer science and database technology strongly preferred;
- Experience with IP litigation and/or other IP areas (trademark, open source, trade secrets, licensing, etc.) is a plus;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Strong research, writing, and communication and organizational skills;
- J.D. from an accredited law school;
- Active registration with the USPTO;
- Active bar membership in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.