Intern - Software Engineer (San Mateo) - 2019 Fall
San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
Snowflake is offering paid internships for students with an interest in cloud computing, database systems, data processing, and distributed systems.
Who We Are
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud.
Our (beautiful!) offices are located in San Mateo, CA. We blend a lot of hard work with a culture that thrives on its diverse people and opinions, while making sure we also have fun.
What We Offer:
- Well paid, full-time internships in the heart of the software industry
- Post-internship career opportunities (full-time and/or additional internships)
- Exposure to a fast-paced, yet fun, startup culture
- A chance to work with world-class experts on challenging projects
- Opportunity to provide meaningful contributions to a real system used by customers
- High level of access to supervisors (manager and mentor), detailed direction without micromanagement, feedback throughout your internship, and a final evaluation
- Stuff that matters: treated as a member of the Snowflake team, included in company meetings/activities, flexible hours, casual dress code, catered lunches, PS4, pool and ping-pong tables, happy hours, company outings, swag, and much more
What We Expect:
- Desired class level: 3rd/4th year Undergraduates, Masters, or PhD
- Desired majors: Computer Science, Physics, Math, or related field
- When: Fall (Sept-Dec)
- Duration: We recommend 12-16 weeks, but no less than 10 weeks
- Excellent programming skills (C++/Java/Python)
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Strong problem solving and ability to learn quickly in a dynamic environment
- Experience with working as a part of a team
- Dedication and passion for technology
What You Will Learn/Gain:
- How to build enterprise grade, reliable, and trustworthy software/services
- Exposure to SQL and/or other database technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop)
- Understanding of database internals, large-scale data processing, and data warehouse design
- Implementation, testing of features in query compilation, compiler design, query execution
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure, AWS and/or Azure in particular
Possible Work Focus Areas:
- High performance large-scale data processing
- Query compilation and optimization
- Software-as-a-Service platform
- Software frameworks for stability and performance testing
Application Deadline for Fall 2019 is August 15, 2019.
Applications received that do not include an attached resume and unofficial transcripts will not be considered. Thanks!
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.