Senior Cloud Data Warehouse Engineer
San Mateo, CA
Customer Technical Support
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
Snowflake’s Support team is expanding! We are looking for senior engineers who like working with data and solving a wide variety of issues utilizing their technical experience having worked on a variety of operating systems, database technologies, big data, data integration, connectors, and networking.
As a Senior Cloud Data Warehouse Engineer II, your role is to delight our customers with your passion and knowledge of Snowflake Data Warehouse. Customers will look to you for technical guidance and for advice in addressing their product usage and issue needs. You will be the voice of the customer into Snowflake’s product and engineering teams for product feedback and improvements. You will play an integral role in building knowledge within the team and be part of strategic initiatives for organizational and process improvements. Ideally, you have worked in a 24x7 environment, handled all tiers of support issues, been on-call during weekends, and familiar with Salesforce Service cloud.
- Provide email, web, and phone support to Snowflake customers and partners
- Utilize Snowflake environment, connectors, 3rd party partner software, and tools to investigate issues
- Document known solutions to internal and external knowledge-base
- Submit well documented bugs and feature requests arising from customer submitted requests
- Partner with engineering teams in prioritizing and resolving customer requests.
- Participate in weekend on-call support rotation
- Work with engineering and dev ops with regards to service alerts and notifications
- Train and mentor new and jr. support staff
- Work on technical and non-technical projects
Our ideal Senior Cloud Data Warehouse Engineer will have:
- 12+ years experience in a Technical Support or similar function
- Experience writing, troubleshooting, and debugging complex SQL queries on distributed systems/MPP (massively parallel processing) architecture
- Good understanding of query profiles and execution plans to analyze performance and make recommendations
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS, SQL data types, and functions
- Good understanding of Amazon AWS and/or Microsoft Azure ecosystems
- Experience troubleshooting database connectivity issues using a variety of methods (client software, drivers/connectors)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills on a variety of operating systems (Windows, Mac, *Nix)
- Excellent ability to interpret systems performance metrics (CPU, I/O, RAM, Network stats)
- Excellent understanding of the technical fundamentals of the Internet. You should have a solid knowledge of internet protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP/S, SFTP, DNS as well as the ability to use diagnostic tools to troubleshoot connectivity issues.
- Scripting/coding experience In any of the following: Python, Java, .Net, NodeJS, R
- Excellent writing and communication skills with attention to detail
Nice to haves:
- Experience working with big data and/or MPP (massively parallel processing) databases.
- Understanding of Data Warehousing fundamentals and concepts
- Database migration and ETL experience
- Experience supporting applications running on either Amazon AWS or MS Azure
- Experience with virtualization solutions (vmware, docker, virtualbox, etc)
- Understanding of cloud computing security concepts
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.