Senior Backend Engineer
San Mateo, CA
Snowflake is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We’re passionate about our people, our customers, our values and our culture! We’re also looking for people with a growth mindset and the pragmatic insight to solve for today while building for the future. And as a Snowflake employee, you will be accountable for supporting and enabling diversity and belonging.
Snowflake started with a clear vision: make modern data warehousing effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. Because traditional on-premises and cloud solutions struggle with this, Snowflake developed an innovative product with a new built-for-the-cloud architecture that combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, and the elasticity of the cloud at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In addition, Snowflake’s culture was built on the following values that are even more important to us today:
Put Customers First. We only succeed when our customers succeed
Integrity Always. Be open, honest, and respectful
Think Big. Be ambitious and have big goals
Be Excellent. Quality and excellence count in everything we do
Get It Done. Results matter!
Make Each Other the Best
Embrace each others Differences
We’re hiring Senior Backend Engineer to build our revolutionary cloud-based application! Our Services team works to solve complex problems involving distributed systems, service-oriented architectures, data encryption, metadata storage, cloud infrastructure, and more. This role is responsible for ensuring the continued success of our core infrastructure.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Snowflake you will:
- Design and implement complex, distributed platforms for storing data, scaling parallel algorithms, etc.
- Analyze fault-tolerance and high availability issues, performance and scale challenges, and solve them.
- Understand trade-offs between consistency, durability and costs to build solutions which can meet the demands of rapidly growing services.
- Ensure operational readiness of the services and meet the commitments to our customers regarding availability and performance.
Our ideal Senior Backend Engineer will have:
- 5+ years industry experience designing, building and supporting large scale systems in production.
- Experience building large scale distributed fault tolerant services.
- Excellent understanding of low level operating systems concepts including multi-threading, memory management, networking and storage, performance and scale.
- Extremely strong fundamental computer science skills.
- Fluency in Java or C++ preferred.
- Able to work on-site in our downtown San Mateo office.
Why join the Engineering team at Snowflake? Building new enterprise technologies is complex, and our engineering team surmounts the obstacles. As a member of our team, you will:
- Experience Implementing multi-tenant systems, with focus on isolation and security.
- Experience designing and implementing systems for public or private clouds.
- Familiarity with optimizing performance and resource management in Java systems.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or related.
Snowflake is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.