Software Engineer: Video - Android
Remote - PST time zone (4 - 6 hour overlap) /
Video on Demand /
You will work on video player SDK and video broadcast SDK that provides low latency and high quality live streaming experience. Previous experience working with video technologies is a plus, but not a requirement since you'll be partnered with video veterans throughout the company.
You'll work on projects like optimizing the adaptive bitrate algorithm for reduced video buffering, adding playback and broadcast support for new client platforms, simplifying our SDKs so they're easier to integrate with, and building entirely new video SDKs.
We envision a product that allows for real-time interactivity broadcast to millions of viewers with less than a second of delay. To get there, we will have to push the boundaries of existing video standards, experiment with new ones, and open source our work along the way.
- Develop video playback/broadcast experience on Android mobile devices and cross-platform software stack
- Collaborate with backend video teams like ingest, transcode, replication, and mapping teams to improve the video playback/broadcast experience
- Add reliable cross-platform unit, integration, and e2e tests
- Help define our open source strategy
- Keep abreast of current technologies and recent developments in mobile and media technologies.
- 2+ years of professional software development or equivalent expertise.
- Development experience on Android
- Working familiarity with C++
- Experience with multithreaded programming, object oriented design and real time considerations.
- Good communication skills, and able to clearly articulate complex problems and solutions.
- Experience building cross-platform libraries/SDKs and shipping successful software products.
- Experience with audio/video or graphics on Android (or mobile platform)
- Experience with MediaCodec, MediaProjection, SurfaceView on Android
- Experience with ExoPlayer code base
- Familiarity with video streaming technologies (HLS, DASH, RTMP) or codecs such as H.264
- Experience with WebRTC
- Experience with network protocols
- Competitive compensation with optional benefits
- Flexible working hours (must overlap with PST time)
- Collaborative, flat, and transparent work culture