Senior Backend Engineer
Product & Engineering
TL;DR: We're hiring an exceptional backend engineer to join us in our next phase of scale! 🚀
Powering organizations from large governments to small startups in every corner of the world — from Zambia to the United Kingdom — our data collection product Collect is scaling rapidly!
Collect is used by customers in 50+ countries, has over 100,000 data collectors relying on the platform and has powered data collection for over 11 million responses! Our customers use Collect to power their most critical activities — from governments delivering vaccines, to small business owners managing their daily inventory, to a zoo monitoring a rare wildlife species.
As we enter the next phase of our scaling journey, our tight-knit team is looking for an exceptional Senior Backend Engineer to join our team. We're looking for someone who's excited by the idea of building and scaling a global product.
Join us in changing the way millions of people collect data across the world!
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- You'll take end-to-end responsibility of the Collect backend. When it comes to ensuring that our customers have a reliable experience collecting data around the world, the buck stops with you! 💪
- You'll be responsible for pre-empting scaling challenges and implementing solutions to ensure that our customers can always trust our products.
- You'll work closely with frontend developers, data engineers and product stakeholders to develop and implement solutions.
- Of course, you'll write swoon-worthy code 😋 and constantly raise the bar within the team.
- You'll continuously improve our documentation practices and testing automation techniques.
- You'll be responsible for technical growth and mentoring junior backend engineers.
- You'll be actively involved in hiring — judging technical tasks, conducting technical interviews, and working to build a better, stronger team 🚀
- You're a polyglot — fluent in HTTP and always picking the right set of tools for the job at hand.
- You have an intimate understanding of Python or Node.js and are willing to learn exciting new languages like Golang.
- You have built and designed scalable architecture for a technology product.
- You understand what it takes to work in a startup environment and know when to trade performance for development speed.
- You have a basic understanding of DevOps (log rotation, reverse proxies, and other activities that give reliability to the software in development).
- You're a quick learner — fail fast, learn faster, and execute almost instantly.
- Brownie points if you're a strong contributor to the technology community — i.e. you write about your learnings, speak at technology conferences or organize community meet-ups.
OUR ENGINEERING CULTURE
- Joining SocialCops won't be like joining any other tech company. Instead, be prepared to join a tech community. We're a big supporter of tech communities in Delhi and regularly host top meetups, including the Google Developer Group, Elastic User Group and Pydata. (Join us for a meetup!)
- Our first and foremost engineering commandment is “Coder != engineer.” Read our 10 engineering commandments here.
- We love giving back to the community! Did you catch our most recent contribution to open source, Camelot, which trended on HackerNews and Github?
- We push each other to learn and grow to our full potential. Be prepared to give your best in our product demos, monthly engineering demos and regular hackathons.
- At the core of our engineering culture is a deep passion to build products that create infinite value and leave a lasting impact on the lives of millions of users.
- Check out our engineering page for a complete overview of our engineering team and culture.
Node.js, Python, Golang, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Celery
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Sign up to stay in touch. We’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.
SocialCops is a data intelligence company that is empowering leaders in organizations globally, including the United Nations and Unilever. Our platform powers over 200 organizations across 50+ countries. As a fast-growing tech startup, SocialCops was recognized in the list of Technology Pioneers 2018 by World Economic Forum and by the New York Times in its list of 30 global visionaries. We were also part of the Google Launchpad Accelerator 2018. Aasaanjobs named SocialCops one of the best Indian startups to work for in 2018.
Read more about our work and case studies: https://socialcops.com/case-studies/
Watch our co-founder's TEDx talk on how big data can influence decisions that matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6WKt6fJiso
For more information on our hiring process, check out our blog: https://blog.socialcops.com/inside-sc/team-culture/interested-joining-socialcops-team-heres-need/
If you would like to receive updates about future opportunities or simply stay in touch with everything that's happening inside SocialCops, you can sign up for our monthly newsletter here.
At SocialCops, we are committed to building a great company — a company that enables leaders to make better decisions, inspires people from across the world, and builds an ecosystem for people to thrive. This is driven by our ability to build a great team that embraces people from diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, nationalities, religions, ages, gender identities or expressions, and everything that helps people around us be their own selves at SocialCops. We respect all kind of opinions, perspectives, and expressions at SocialCops, and believe that our workplace, customers, and community each contribute uniquely towards our mission of building a great company.