R&D PV Module Engineer (Entry Level)
7700 S River Pkwy Tempe, AZ 85284 /
Solestial, Inc. is the solar energy company for space. Solestial’s core technology is a breakthrough ultra-thin silicon solar cell that can self-cure radiation damage at normal operating temperatures in space, packaged in a flexible, lightweight panel designed to achieve minimum degradation for up to 10 years in LEO. Solestial panels can be mass-produced using automated machines resulting in costs 90% lower than incumbent technologies, with virtually unlimited manufacturing capacity. From today’s satellite constellations and research projects to tomorrow’s utility-scale energy infrastructure and services in space, Solestial is powering the new space economy.
As a R&D PV Module Engineer you will be developing new designs and fabrication processes for light-weight and flexible photovoltaic modules. You will also help transition the developed processes and designs to a new mass production line. This includes running baseline production lots, maintaining manufacturing tools and troubleshooting tool failures, developing new module designs and assembly processes, and transferring R&D processes to large-scale manufacturing tools.
This is an exciting position as part of a positive, supportive, and passionate team! A competitive compensation package, including equity and full benefits (see below), will be offered.
Specific Responsibilities to Include:
- Run baseline PV module pilot production lots including preparing flexible substrates, bonding solar cells to the substrates, interconnection of the solar cells, formation of transparent coatings, deposition of the capping films and characterization of the final devices.
- Work in close collaboration with all process engineers as well as solar cell engineers to improve the performance of the PV modules and minimize cell-to-module losses.
- Work in collaboration with stress testing engineers to ensure low degradation of PV modules in space.
- Troubleshoot the issues with PV module fabrication tools.
- Transition the developed designs and processes to large scale production tools including preparing technical documentation and specifications.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or related fields.
- We encourage recent graduates to apply!
- Hands on problem solving
- Experience working with CAD software
- Previous lab or internship experience preferred
- Ability to manipulate small objects with high precision by hands (handling fragile, thin and flexible pieces).
- Demonstrated ability to design and build complex miniature systems by hands is a strong plus.
- Will help develop and implement production processes and generates/maintains process manual dexterity, strong work ethic, ability to multitask, positive attitude, and willingness to learn.
- Ability to work in a class 1,000 clean room environment.
- Ready to work in a dynamic environment.
- Previous experience working with solar cells is a strong plus.
- If you are interested but don’t think you meet all the requirements, we encourage you to still apply
- Generous, high-quality medical, dental and vision coverage on day one of employment
- A minimum of 15 days PTO and 11 paid holidays annually
- 401K with employer match up to 4% of salary
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability and employer-sponsored life insurance