Process Engineer - Laser Ablation and Scribing
7700 S River Pkwy Tempe, AZ 85284 /
Solestial, Inc. is the solar energy company for space. Solestial’s core technology is a breakthrough ultra-thin silicon solar cell that can self-cure radiation damage at normal operating temperatures in space, packaged in a flexible, lightweight panel designed to achieve minimum degradation for up to 10 years in LEO. Solestial panels can be mass-produced using automated machines resulting in costs 90% lower than incumbent technologies, with virtually unlimited manufacturing capacity. From today’s satellite constellations and research projects to tomorrow’s utility-scale energy infrastructure and services in space, Solestial is powering the new space economy.
As a Laser Ablation and Scribing Process Engineer you will be the owner of laser processing at Solestial R&D line and will transition laser processes to a new mass production line. This will include running baseline production lots, running SPC and troubleshooting tool failures, developing new ablation and scribing processes, transferring R&D ablation and scribing processes to large-scale manufacturing laser tools, developing SOPs and training operators.
This is an exciting position as part of a positive, supportive, and passionate team! A competitive compensation package, including equity and full benefits (see below), will be offered.
Specific Responsibilities to Include:
- Run baseline laser ablation and scribing recipes for pilot production lots.
- Characterize the ablated and scribed wafers (optical microscopy, SEM, profilometry) and partially processed solar cells and wafers (photoluminescence, Suns-Voc).
- Analyze characterization data and present to the technical team.
- Develop new technological equipment to improve ablation quality and accommodate different wafer form factors.
- Develop new ablation and scribing processes to improve characteristics of the solar cells.
- Work in close collaboration with wet etch and PECVD engineers as well as solar cell engineers to improve the performance of laser ablation and scribing.
- Troubleshoot the issues with the tool and work with equipment technicians on mitigation.
- Transition the laser ablation and scribing processes to large scale production tools.
- Train tool operators.
- Follow safety requirements and prevent accidents.
- Maintain clean work environment.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or related fields.
- Ability to work in a class 1,000 clean room environment.
- Ability to occasionally conduct wet etching wearing the necessary PPE.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical skills, basic data analysis and presentation, clear communication.
- Positive attitude.
- Previous experience with nano- and femtosecond laser materials processing is a strong plus.
- Generous, high-quality medical, dental and vision coverage on day one of employment
- A minimum of 15 days PTO and 11 paid holidays annually
- 401K with employer match up to 4% of salary
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability and employer-sponsored life insurance