Director of Community Relations
Geneva / Austin /
Sales & Marketing – Marketing /
Sonar’s industry-leading solution enables developers and development teams to write clean code and remediate existing code organically, so they can focus on the work they love and maximize the value they generate for businesses. Its open source and commercial solutions – SonarLint, SonarCloud, and SonarQube – support 30 programming languages. Trusted by more than 400,000 organizations globally, Sonar is considered integral to delivering better software.
The Director of Community Relations is responsible for defining, architecting and executing our community strategy and programs. The community includes open-source users, users of our paid Sonar products, and participants in our diverse global programs.
You will be responsible for managing and building a team of community managers. You will own the goals of having a vibrant, active, and engaged community. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, cross-functional community leader with prior community relations, and leadership experience in attracting, retaining and growing a technical community.
On a daily basis you will:
- Define the strategy for our Sonar community and measure its activity and engagement
- Build out the strategy, team, and systems to expand the community
- Grow active members and engagement
- Create and maintain a Clean Code community advocacy program to grow the number of evangelists that regularly give talks, write blog posts, and organize meetups about Clean Code
- Define, build and scale community programs such as user groups, clean code forums, and local meetups
- Engage educational institutions and non-profit organizations
- Develop SonarSource’s open-source partnership strategy and expand the number of active open-source projects either self-hosting SonarQube or using SonarCloud
- Lead and build partnerships and relationships with key open-source organizations such as the Linux Foundation, CNCF, OpenSSF, etc
The skills you will demonstrate:
- Deep understanding and experience in building and managing Developer Communities globally
- Proven progressive leadership experience, with an emphasis on people leadership, building teams to scale, and engaging global and local stakeholders
- Experience building trusted relationships with executive sponsors and end users
- You are obsessed with engaging with developers, operations and professionals
- You were a full-time developer in a previous life, but you prefer to work with the developer community to improve experience and support through education
- You have experience leading a team in developer relations or community advocacy programs, preferably open-source in nature
- You are analytical and data-driven in your approach to building and nurturing communities
- Able to coordinate across many teams
- Proven experience being self-directed and working with minimal supervision
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Ability to learn and use Sonar
Why you will love it here
• Safe work culture - we value respect, kindness, and the right to fail.
• Flexible hours - we schedule our days in order to be effective at work, while also being able to enjoy life’s important moments.
• Great people - we value people skills as much as technical skills and strive to keep things friendly and laid back. Still, that does not prevent us to be passionate leaders in our domains. Our 300+ SonarSourcers from 33 different nationalities can relate!
• Work-life balance - keeping a healthy work-life balance is important. This is why we have a hybrid work policy and some people prefer working some days from home.
• Always keep learning - in an ever-changing industry, learning new skills is a must, and we're happy to help our team to acquire them.
What we do
Sonar was started by a team of developers that wanted to change the way code is built in an agile development process. The company was created to develop the open-source tool SonarQube, which is now the standard in code quality management with over 350,000 instances deployed today. Every day we are focused on solving developers’ next big problem.
Who we are
At Sonar we believe in people, excellence, and delivery. We’re a team of problem solvers and overachievers who seek out others who are also passionate and relentless in their respective missions. We want to work with people who are ready to fasten their seat belts and be part of an incredible ride. We work hard not because we’re told to, but because we genuinely love what we do and do what we love. If there’s one main message we want you to remember about us, it’s that we push others to be best in class at whatever they do: choose your battle, innovate, take risks, and lead change. Join us; we’ll be smarter and stronger together.
If this sounds like you, apply now!