Backend Engineer Data Team - 100% Remote - Canada
Canada - Remote /
Product Engineering – Data Services /
We are 350+ employees from diverse backgrounds, that hail from more than 50 countries, and speak 15 languages. But, we all share one thing in common: we’re passionate about accelerating software innovation. Our vision is to put Nexus products at the center of every open source decision made by modern engineering organizations. We’re one of the fastest growing tech companies in America and have been named both a Deloitte Fast 500 and Inc. 5000 company three years in a row. We pride ourselves on being an open and supportive company, which is why we were named to Fast Company’s list of 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators in 2019. Sonatype is committed to an inclusion for all workplace, we encourage all to apply. Learn more at www.sonatype.com.
Sonatype’s mission is to enable organizations to better manage their software supply chain. We offer a series of products and services including the Nexus Repository Manager and Nexus Lifecycle Manager.
We are a remote and talented product development group and we work in small autonomous teams to create high quality products. Thousands of organizations and millions of developers use our software. If you have a passion for challenging problems, software craftsmanship, and having impact, then Sonatype is the right place for you.
We are expanding our Data team, responsible for unlocking insight from vast amounts of software component data, powering our suite of products enabling our customers from making informed and automated decisions in managing their software supply chain. As a Backend Engineer, you will lead or contribute to designing, development, and monitoring of systems and solutions for collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing large data sets. You will work in a team made up of Data Scientists and other Software Engineers.
No one is going to tell you when to get up in the morning, or dole out a bunch of small tasks for you to do every single day. Members of Sonatype's Product organization have the internal drive and initiative to make the product vision a reality. Flow should be the predominate state of mind.
Required Experience & Skills
- Deep software engineering experience; we primarily use Java.
- Database and data manipulation skills working with relational or non-relational models.
- Strong ability to select and integrate appropriate tools, frameworks, systems to build great solutions.
- Deep curiosity for how things work and desire to make them better.
- Currently reside in either Canada, Colombia, or the United States of America and are legally authorized to work without sponsorship in the corresponding country.
Desired Experience & Skills
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or another quantitative field.
- Knowledge and experience with non-relational databases (i.e. Hbase, MongoDB, Cassandra).
- Knowledge and experience with large scale data tools and techniques (i.e. MapReduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark).
- Knowledge and experience with AWS Big Data services (i.e. EMR, ElasticSearch).
- Experience working in a highly distributed environment, using modern collaboration tools to facilitate team communication.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to be part of an incredible, high-growth company, working on a team of experienced colleagues
- Competitive salary package
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer Time Off (VTO)
- Business casual dress
- Flexible work schedules that ensure time for you to be you
- 2019 Best Places to Work Washington Post and Washingtonian
- 2019 Wealthfront Top Career Launch Company
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2019
- Fast Company Top 50 Companies for Innovators
- Glassdoor ranking of 4.9
- Come see why we've won all of these awards
Sonatype is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.