Senior Technical Ambassador, DevOps Community
Sonatype is looking for a self-driven, technical community leader with prior experience in developer
relations or technical product marketing to join our team. The right candidate will bring with them a history
of engaging with developer and DevOps communities in-person (hackathons, workshops, conferences,
meetups etc) and online (social media, community forums, reddit, other channels). You don’t need to be a
technical expert in all things DevSecOps, but you do need to bring a willingness and desire to learn, paired
up with the appropriate T-shaped skills to connect with people of diverse backgrounds in the DevOps
This is a full-time position based in North America, reporting to our VP Corporate Marketing and DevOps
Advocate. Working with our VP, Senior Storyteller, and others, you will collaborate to improve upon our
overall developer relations and evangelism strategy.
You’ll also be involved in driving engagement with our technology and channel partners. In this role, you
will also have an opportunity to help deliver new community-based solutions that advance DevSecOps
practices for all.
As our technical evangelist, you will be a leading voice of Sonatype and DevSecOps practices in the community. You will partner with Engineering, Product, Marketing, customers, executives, external thought leaders, bright unknowns, and even smarter misfits to drive Sonatype engagement with the global DevOps, developer and AppSec communities who strive to improve security across DevOps pipelines. We're looking for a community builder to drive the acquisition and engagement funnel among DevOps practitioners at scale through best-in-class education and content, compelling storytelling, community management, campaigns, and events.
Speaking at Conferences
Success in this role will require that you not sit in a cubicle. You’ll pursue speaking opportunities on big and small stages, be asked to speak at community events in coordination with Sonatype marketing and partner teams, and engage in our Nexus User Conference, DevSecOps Days and All Day DevOps communities. This also means that great communication skills are a must for your success; if you are a great storyteller, please continue reading on.
As a critical voice to the market, you will grow our community by attracting DevOps practitioners who are new to the Nexus platform and represent Sonatype and our Nexus platform at events and conferences.
Extending Your Voice Online
When traveling, at one of our offices, or working from home, you’ll contribute regularly to online forums and channels to further scale your reach into the community. You will also be responsible for producing and sharing educational, technical content targeted at DevSecOps professionals.
Scaling Your Voice Through Content
Drive the strategy for content development through thought leadership, white papers, blog posts, social media, webinars and by being an evangelist for Sonatype.
Acting as a Critical Voice of the Market
As an important voice of the market, you will work with Sonatype colleagues to ensure we understand market trends, have a clear understanding of where our product strengths and weakness are, and where investments with specific technology and community partners will have the best return. In these efforts, you will work closely with cross-functional teams including Product, Engineering, and Marketing to understand and influence roadmaps.
You will also collaborate with colleagues, community members and partners to design and implement high-impact programs that are optimized to deliver results across the DevSecOps marketing funnel to hit team goals for Marketing Qualified Leads. You will also be responsible for contributing to a comprehensive global DevSecOps marketing plan where we’ll test, iterate and scale programs that exceed DevSecOps community lead acquisition and engagement goals.
- Willingness to travel anywhere to DevOps, Developer, and AppSec communities. On balance, you’ll be on the road 40 - 50% of the year, with predictable seasonal swings.
- 10+ years of computer science, engineering, developer evangelism, product management, product marketing or equivalent.
- A history of engaging with developer and DevOps communities in-person (hackathons, workshops, conferences, meetups etc) and online (social media, community forums, reddit, other channels). Experiences building and leading community initiatives will be a major plus.
- Strong technical abilities including experience with DevOps toolchains, workflows, and best practices. Previous experience working with a software delivery team is a plus.
- Experience working across organizations with Sales, Marketing, Support, Product, Engineering and Design. The innate ability to earn trust and credibility with technical teams, inside and outside the company, will be paramount.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth environment where resourcefulness is important in further building out a DevOps community relations program, including the ability to take ownership and see initiatives through.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills combined with the creativity to produce innovative breakthrough value propositions and businesses for the company.
- BA or BS degree in Engineering, Marketing, or a related field.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to be part of an incredible, high-growth company and working on a fun, diverse team of experienced colleagues.
- The opportunity to make a difference, take risks, be creative, and feel appreciated.
- Flexible work schedules that ensure time for you to be you.
- Solid benefits including a generous stock options plan.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation and a couple of personal days.
- Competitive salary package
We are 300 employees from diverse backgrounds, that hail from 50 countries, and speak 15 languages. But, we all share one thing in common: we’re passionate about accelerating software innovation. Our vision is to put Nexus products at the center of every open source decision made by modern engineering organizations. We’re one of the fastest growing tech companies in America and have been named both a Deloitte Fast 500 and Inc. 5000 company three years in a row. We’re backed by world class investors including TPG, Goldman Sachs, Accel Partners, and HWVP. Learn more at www.sonatype.com.
Sonatype is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know