Threat Researcher | Network Security
Threat Intelligence – Threat Research and Engineering (SophosLabs) /
What's Great About Sophos?
· Sophos operates a remote-first working model, and working remotely is the primary option for most employees
· Our people – we innovate and create, all of which are accompanied by a great sense of fun and team spirit
· Employee-led diversity and inclusion networks that build community and provide education and advocacy
· Annual charity and fundraising initiatives and volunteer days for employees to support local communities
· Global employee sustainability initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint
· Global fitness and trivia competitions to keep our bodies and minds sharp
· Global wellbeing days for employees to relax and recharge
· Monthly wellbeing webinars and training to support employee health and wellbeing
As a junior-mid level Threat Researcher you will be part of the front line responsible for helping to protect millions of users worldwide from Network security threats and exploits. The successful candidate will provide analysis and detection of the latest threats and help create the next generation of SophosLabs research tools. The ideal candidate is passionate about computer network security and has a high aptitude for solving challenging puzzles with an attention to detail.
What will you do
- Develop high-quality Application classification and IPS Signatures to classify application traffic and detect/prevent threats and exploits.
- Test and publish Application classification and IPS Signatures.
- Analyze cyber threats/exploits in software and Applications.
- Reverse engineer threats, exploits, and proof-of-concept code.
- Write descriptions of threats and exploits for publication on the Sophos website and in threat research whitepapers.
- Independently conduct research, reverse engineer threats and exploits, and provide research reports.
- Triage requests from other departments, respond to tasks, or escalate complex issues to senior team members.
- Answer customer queries routed through technical support and internal queries from all departments.
- Identify opportunities to write blogs for the Sophos website to raise customer awareness
What you will bring
- One to three years of experience in network security, threat research or threat hunting.
- A practical understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite including in depth knowledge of application layer protocols, such as HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, SSL etc.
- Experience in capturing and decoding protocols using packet analyzer tools such as Wireshark, Ethereal, and tcpdump.
- Familiarity with various network and endpoint security technologies, including next-generation firewalls (NGFWs), intrusion detection/prevention systems (IDS/IPS) and proxy servers.
- Knowledge of exploits (file and protocol-based), network evasion techniques, and the Linux network stack.
- Understanding of commonly employed attack techniques such as Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), SQL Injection, Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF), Directory Traversal, Buffer Overflow, etc.
- User-level experience with various operating systems, including UNIX and Windows flavors.
- Experience in Application or IPS signature development or testing, preferably with Snort or equivalent engines such as Suricata or Bro.
- Understanding of Snort engine internals.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP low-level evasions.
- Familiarity with upper-level OSI evasions, such as HTTP/S evasions.
- Familiarity with Sophos or other competitor firewall products.
- Hands-on experience with tools such as Wget, Curl, Nmap, Hping2, Burp, Fiddler etc.
Ready to Join Us?
At Sophos, we believe in the power of diverse perspectives to fuel innovation. Research shows that candidates sometimes hesitate to apply if they don't check every box in a job description. We challenge that notion. Your unique experiences and skills might be exactly what we need to enhance our team. Don't let a checklist hold you back – if you're passionate about cybersecurity and ready to contribute, we encourage you to apply. We're excited to explore how your individuality can shape the future of our company.
Sophos is a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, protecting more than 500,000 organizations and millions of consumers in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyber threats. Powered by threat intelligence, AI, and machine learning from SophosLabs and SophosAI, Sophos delivers a broad portfolio of advanced products and services to secure users, networks, and endpoints against ransomware, malware, exploits, phishing, and a wide range of other cyberattacks. Sophos provides a single integrated cloud-based management console, Sophos Central – the centerpiece of an adaptive cybersecurity ecosystem that features a centralized data lake that leverages a rich set of open APIs available to customers, partners, developers, and other cybersecurity vendors. Sophos sells its products and services through reseller partners and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. Sophos has major hubs around the globe. More information is available at www.sophos.com.
Our Commitment To You
We’re proud of the diverse and inclusive environment we have at Sophos, and we’re committed to ensuring equality of opportunity. We believe that diversity, combined with excellence, builds a better Sophos, so we encourage applicants who can contribute to the diversity of our team. All applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, sex, gender reassignment, marital status, race, religion or belief, color, age, military veteran status, disability, pregnancy, maternity or sexual orientation. We want to give you every opportunity to show us your best self, so if there are any adjustments we could make to the recruitment and selection process to support you, please let us know.