Software Development Manager
Vancouver, Canada /
Product Development – Software Engineering /
Sophos is a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, protecting more than 500,000 organizations and millions of consumers in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyberthreats. Powered by threat intelligence, AI and machine learning from SophosLabs and SophosAI, Sophos delivers a broad portfolio of advanced products and services to secure users, networks and endpoints against ransomware, malware, exploits, phishing and the wide range of other cyberattacks. Sophos provides a single integrated cloud-based management console, Sophos Central – the centerpiece of an adaptive cybersecurity ecosystem that features a centralized data lake that leverages a rich set of open APIs available to customers, partners, developers, and other cybersecurity vendors. Sophos sells its products and services through reseller partners and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. Sophos has major hubs around the globe. More information is available at www.sophos.com
As a Development Manager in the Network Security Group, you will lead a team that contributes to products that are used by hundreds of thousands of customers around the world. You will be working in an Agile/Scrum environment and be involved in all aspects of the software development process. You will work closely with Product Managers to help define product roadmaps & ensure the team delivers a quality product to our customers.
This role provides a great opportunity to immerse yourself in a fully Agile development team that delivers a quality product to real customers around the world. The team has a healthy ‘continuous improvement’ mentality, so there will also be opportunities to try out innovative technologies and processes.
This position is based at our Canadian office in Vancouver, British Columbia.
What You Will Do
- Build a high performing engineering team by recruiting, managing & retaining talent.
- Lead and manage a Scrum team, which includes both developers and quality engineers, to deliver quality updates directly to customers.
- Allocate resources effectively, balancing workload and priorities across the team.
- Collaborate with the relevant stakeholders to define product roadmaps and identify optimal solutions.
- Develop and commit to realistic and achievable project plans, and drive the team to deliver against them with quality.
- Regularly report on project progress to senior management and stakeholders
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to the team, offering solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Stay updated with industry trends and advancements to drive innovation within the software development practices.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment, promoting growth and professional development within the team.
What You Will Bring
- 8+ years of experience working with commercial software.
- 2+ years leading/managing software development teams.
- Proven experience delivering complex software projects and solutions effectively through Agile methodologies on a regular release cadence.
- Experience working with commercial Linux-based products.
- Experience in developing software using C/C++ or Golang, and optionally Java or Python.
- Working knowledge of different networking protocols (e.g. HTTP/HTTPS, ,TLS, TCP/IP)
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development.
- Demonstrated success in people leadership in software development, particularly with large scale enterprise products.
- Experience in developing software using network sockets.
- Understanding of cloud platforms such as AWS is a plus.
- Experience in the development of networking or security products is a plus.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Software or equivalent
- A core ability and judgment to arbitrate on development decisions to balance risk, cost, time, and quality.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities to deliver projects on schedule.
- Devotion to producing high-quality, high-performance systems.
- Sense of humor and a willingness to have fun.
What's Great About Sophos?
· Our people – we innovate and create, all of which are accompanied by a great sense of fun and team spirit
· Employee-led diversity and inclusion networks that build community and provide education and advocacy
· Annual charity and fundraising initiatives and volunteer days for employees to support local communities
· Global employee sustainability initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint
· Global fitness and trivia competitions to keep our bodies and minds sharp
· Global wellbeing days for employees to relax and recharge
· Monthly wellbeing webinars and training to support employee health and wellbeing
Our Commitment To You
We’re proud of the diverse and inclusive environment we have at Sophos, and we’re committed to ensuring equality of opportunity. We believe that diversity, combined with excellence, builds a better Sophos, so we encourage applicants that can contribute to the diversity of our team. All applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, sex, gender reassignment, marital status, race, religion or belief, color, age, military veteran status, disability, pregnancy, maternity or sexual orientation. We want to give you every opportunity to show us your best self, so if there are any adjustments we could make to the recruitment and selection process to support you, please let us know.