Threat Researcher- Team Lead
Threat Intelligence – Threat Research and Engineering (SophosLabs) /
What's Great About Sophos?
· Sophos operates a remote-first working model, and working remotely is the primary option for most employees
· Our people – we innovate and create, all of which are accompanied by a great sense of fun and team spirit
· Employee-led diversity and inclusion networks that build community and provide education and advocacy
· Annual charity and fundraising initiatives and volunteer days for employees to support local communities
· Global employee sustainability initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint
· Global fitness and trivia competitions to keep our bodies and minds sharp
· Global wellbeing days for employees to relax and recharge
· Monthly wellbeing webinars and training to support employee health and wellbeing
Teams mandate is to find new and notable threats, assess their risk and produce protection where necessary. This include advanced targeted attacks, "attack tool" research, handling of vulnerability advisories and publishing blogs and whitepapers.
We are looking for a qualified team leader to manage our team and provide effective guidance. You will be responsible for supervising and motivating team members daily.
As a team leader, you will be the contact point for all team members, so your communication skills should be excellent. You should also be able to act proactively to ensure smooth team operations and effective collaboration
The successful candidate will provide analysis of the evolving cyber threat landscape and contribute to create the next generation of SophosLabs research tools. The ideal candidate is passionate about computer security and has high aptitude for solving challenging puzzles with an attention to detail
What you will do
- Perform cyber threat analysis utilizing multiple information sources.
- Engage research based on cyber threat intelligence.
- Investigate APT campaigns and understand cyber threat actors, their motivations and technical capabilities.
- Identify steps to be taken to respond and minimize the impact of emerging threats.
- Reverse engineer files to discover their intended functionality and risks to customers.
- Write threat descriptions for publication on the Sophos website and threat research whitepapers in a timely fashion.
- Generating intelligence on new trends in the Threat Landscape and distributing between departments outside of the Lab.
- Identify opportunities to write blogs for the Sophos website to raise customer awareness.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Oversee day-to-day operation.
- Discover training needs and provide coaching.
What you will bring
- Experience with x86 assembly
- Windows Internals
- Computer and Web Security experience
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of scripting basics (Perl/Python/Regexp)
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Decision-making skills
- Experience with a broad range of operating systems
- Programming skills and experience (C/C++/Python/Perl)
- Familiar with tools such as IDA Pro, WinDbg, OllyDbg and Hex editors
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Software (or equivalent)
Ready to Join Us?
At Sophos, we believe in the power of diverse perspectives to fuel innovation. Research shows that candidates sometimes hesitate to apply if they don't check every box in a job description. We challenge that notion. Your unique experiences and skills might be exactly what we need to enhance our team. Don't let a checklist hold you back – if you're passionate about cybersecurity and ready to contribute, we encourage you to apply. We're excited to explore how your individuality can shape the future of our company.
Sophos is a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, protecting more than 500,000 organizations and millions of consumers in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyber threats. Powered by threat intelligence, AI, and machine learning from SophosLabs and SophosAI, Sophos delivers a broad portfolio of advanced products and services to secure users, networks, and endpoints against ransomware, malware, exploits, phishing, and a wide range of other cyberattacks. Sophos provides a single integrated cloud-based management console, Sophos Central – the centerpiece of an adaptive cybersecurity ecosystem that features a centralized data lake that leverages a rich set of open APIs available to customers, partners, developers, and other cybersecurity vendors. Sophos sells its products and services through reseller partners and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. Sophos has major hubs around the globe. More information is available at www.sophos.com.
Our Commitment To You
We’re proud of the diverse and inclusive environment we have at Sophos, and we’re committed to ensuring equality of opportunity. We believe that diversity, combined with excellence, builds a better Sophos, so we encourage applicants who can contribute to the diversity of our team. All applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, sex, gender reassignment, marital status, race, religion or belief, color, age, military veteran status, disability, pregnancy, maternity or sexual orientation. We want to give you every opportunity to show us your best self, so if there are any adjustments we could make to the recruitment and selection process to support you, please let us know.