Senior Security Automation Engineer (MDR)
United States /
Threat Intelligence – Managed Detection Response and Security Operations /
Sophos is a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, protecting more than 500,000 organizations and millions of consumers in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyberthreats. Powered by threat intelligence, AI and machine learning from SophosLabs and SophosAI, Sophos delivers a broad portfolio of advanced products and services to secure users, networks and endpoints against ransomware, malware, exploits, phishing and the wide range of other cyberattacks. Sophos provides a single integrated cloud-based management console, Sophos Central – the centerpiece of an adaptive cybersecurity ecosystem that features a centralized data lake that leverages a rich set of open APIs available to customers, partners, developers, and other cybersecurity vendors. Sophos sells its products and services through reseller partners and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. Sophos has major hubs around the globe. More information is available at www.sophos.com
The Sr. MDR Security Automation Engineer will be responsible for the successful conception, design, development, integrationand support of the MDR Platform and other enabling technologies that meet the product needs of the Sophos MDR Team. Leveraging proprietary and open-source tools and technologies, the Sr. MDR Security Automation Engineer will deliver against unique and broad challenges facing the efficiency and effectiveness of the Sophos MDR Team.
What You Will Do
- Build, test, and maintain custom and open-source tools to streamline and expedite analysis, incident response and threat response workflows.
- Lead meetings to identify and prioritize potential projects based on impact, feasibility, and urgency.
- Applies knowledge of cybersecurity and incident response operations to ensure technical outcomes remain relevant to the operations stakeholders.
- Promotes best practices, design patterns, standards through workshops, knowledge sharing, and code walk-throughs.
- Provides mentorship, advice, and skill enhancement to junior team members.
- Work across teams to define requirements, evaluate architectures, analyze tradeoffs, and recommend solutions.
- Collaborate closely with Operations Analysts, Threat Hunters, Detection Engineers, Threat Intelligence Analysts, Automation Engineers, Products Managers to deeply understand their problems and goals, and then design and prioritize solutions to help achieve those goals.
- Increase the usability of our existing tools through introducing new technical features and frameworks, and implementing new tools and platforms to ensure the company is leveraging the latest and greatest.
- Build trust with stakeholders through consistent and quality outcomes.
- Ensure we are satisfying our "Security First" mindset in terms of RBAC, data protection and data access.
What You Will Bring
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or cyber security or direct experience working in a Security Operations Center (SOC)
- 5+ years of DevOps experience
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with CI/CD, containerization, deployment automation tools
- Experience with either object-oriented programming languages or scripting languages
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, including experience using at least one development/release framework.
- Expertise in host forensics and network analysis techniques and tools
- Expertise in cyber security knowledge in at least two areas (e.g. architecture, digital forensics, incident response, threat intelligence)
- Ability to mentor in a Junior Team Members
A Plus if You Have
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience administering and supporting Windows OS (both workstations and server) and one of the following: Apple or Linux-based operating systems (e.g. XP, Windows 7, 2003, 2008, OS X)
- Knowledge of common adversary tactics and techniques, e.g., obfuscation, persistence, defense evasion, etc.
- Knowledge of MITRE ATT&CK framework
- Knowledge of incident response procedures
- Basic understanding of Windows event log analysis
Applicants in Colorado, California, Washington, and New York City may email TalentAcquisition@sophos.com for the up-to-date salary ranges for the position.
What's Great About Sophos?
· Our people – we innovate and create, all of which are accompanied by a great sense of fun and team spirit
· Employee-led diversity and inclusion networks that build community and provide education and advocacy
· Annual charity and fundraising initiatives and volunteer days for employees to support local communities
· Global employee sustainability initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint
· Global fitness and trivia competitions to keep our bodies and minds sharp
· Global wellbeing days for employees to relax and recharge
· Monthly wellbeing webinars and training to support employee health and wellbeing
Our Commitment To You
We’re proud of the diverse and inclusive environment we have at Sophos, and we’re committed to ensuring equality of opportunity. We believe that diversity, combined with excellence, builds a better Sophos, so we encourage applicants that can contribute to the diversity of our team. All applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, sex, gender reassignment, marital status, race, religion or belief, color, age, military veteran status, disability, pregnancy, maternity or sexual orientation. We want to give you every opportunity to show us your best self, so if there are any adjustments we could make to the recruitment and selection process to support you, please let us know.