Lead AI/ML Engineer (Remote, Americas)
About Sora Schools
Sora School is an innovative, accredited, and affordable online middle and high school, focused on delivering progressive education principles through our bespoke Learning Management System. We’re on the brink of exploring the vast realms of AI to elevate our educational delivery and impact.
Our mission is simple: build the replacement to the broken U.S. education system. No compromises, no reform. Most schools continue to do the same things they’ve always done: making students memorize content, test them, score them, and rank them. Unsurprisingly, students are losing their creativity and motivation, and are utterly unprepared to succeed in the real world.
In our virtual program, middle and high school students work on passion-based projects that they get to create and take wherever they wish. They don’t spend their school hours attending lecture-based classes and don’t read many traditional textbooks — instead, they’re building video games, writing fantasy novels, conducting scientific research, and more! They connect with industry mentors to expose them to new careers and fields of study. Students learn not only the full breadth of academic subjects but also important soft skills and subjects such as financial literacy, philosophy, and more. Our school is organized in small, tight-knit cohorts so every group of students and faculty can feel close and engaged in their community. We’ve embarked on our journey to accelerate students toward their wildest dreams. We can’t wait for you to join us!
We’re seeking a seasoned Lead AI/ML Engineer to spearhead our ambitious AI project.
This role calls for an individual who can not only navigate through the technical landscapes of AI/ML but also synchronize with our educational ethos to create a product that’s aligned with our pedagogical principles.
While you'll report to the Head of Engineering, Sora Schools is a company where self managers thrive. We're quick to trust that you can do it, and here to support you in making it so. You can expect to be counted on. You can expect to do your best work and build a career here.
Join us in revolutionizing the future of education with the power of AI.
Location and Salary
This is a fully remote position located anywhere in the Americas. We’re excited to build a team with a wide variety of perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage candidates to apply even if they don’t have experience in all the following areas. We offer a competitive salary and perks based on the in-country localized market.
- Project Leadership: Guide the AI Tutor project from conceptualization to deployment, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality.Data
- Management: Oversee the annotation, augmentation, and utilization of our extensive video dataset, ensuring optimal input for model training.
- Model Development: Lead the development, training, and optimization of AI/ML models tailored to understand and emulate effective teaching methodologies.
- Team Collaboration: Work synergistically with our LMS developers and designers, ensuring the AI integrates seamlessly into our existing system.
- Talent Development: Mentor and develop the AI/ML team, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Stakeholder Communication: Ensure transparent and regular communication with stakeholders regarding project progress and milestones.
- Education: Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, or a related field.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience in AI/ML project development and leadership, preferably in the education technology sector.
- Technical Proficiency: Hands-on experience with AI/ML frameworks (like TensorFlow or PyTorch) and proficiency in programming languages (such as Python).
- Data Management: Extensive experience in managing and utilizing large datasets for AI/ML model training.
- Leadership: Demonstrated ability in leading AI/ML projects and teams to successful outcomes.
- Communication: Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Adaptability: Ability to navigate through the dynamic and fast-paced environment of a project in its nascent stage.
Working at Sora Schools
Sora offers a collaborative, team-oriented environment with colleagues who deeply care about our mission. We’re fully remote with members living around the world, offer all full-time team members stock options, and believe in flexibility to ensure we can all live a full life.
Equal opportunity statement
Sora Schools is an equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values but also enriches our ability to do our work.
Please let your Sora contact know if you would like to request reasonable accommodations during your application or interviewing process.
All full-time team members are required to go through a background screening prior to employment upon hire. Additionally, if you are based in the U.S., we are required to complete an I-9 to confirm to show that you are authorized to work in the United States.