Senior Machine Learning Engineer
New York /
Sounder is an industry-leading data solutions platform for audio publishers, marketers, and ad marketplaces. We build cutting-edge artificial intelligence and machine learning systems to analyze the world’s audio and help generate a deep understanding through relevant data and key insights.
Data fuels growth. We’ve seen it time and time again across every industry. When stakeholders access deep, actionable, and scalable insights, it unlocks a new frontier of opportunity.
This moment for the audio industry has finally arrived.
Sounder exists to usher in this data-powered transformation for audio. In turn, the industry will grow faster than ever. Now that publishers, marketers, and ad marketplaces have access to insights, we will see increased efficiencies, better decision-making, improved product experiences, more robust advertising performance, and superior listener engagement.
If you’re passionate about the future of the spoken-word economy, you’ve found the right place. Apply from anywhere, and join our remote team!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Machine Learning Engineer working within the Data team, you’ll be a key member of Sounder’s overall Product & Engineering team, responsible for developing and executing against the product vision and engineering roadmap. We are seeking an experienced and skilled software engineer who is able to work at every step of building a scalable AI/ML solution for an audio data cloud, particularly around ASR and NLP.
This role requires understanding a Product Requirement Definition, proposing a scalable and practical AI/ML solution, discussing, evaluating options against consumers’ needs and infrastructure constraints, and being able to independently develop the AI solution into a production-level quality.
You will work closely with various departments throughout Sounder including but not limited to Design, Marketing, Product, and Data Science. You’ll have the opportunity to dynamically work with a wide variety of projects and challenges.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design and build AI/ML solutions
- Daily collaboration between engineering and product to understand and determine strategies on how to build competitive AI/ML solutions for our overall platform
- Take initiative to learn, grow and develop technical skills to ensure Sounder’s product is exceptional
- Research new technologies to find the most optimal technical solutions
- Become an expert in podcasting technology and the overall audio industry
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years of experience in AI/ML software development against large consumer-facing data; having worked with creator data is a plus;
- Strong understanding of AI and ML algorithms, evaluation techniques, scaling AI solutions, good grasp of open source libraries and datasets,
- Strong understanding of agile product development and coding principles,
- Experience with cloud-based data stores and APIs (AWS preferred),
- A proven track record of planning and shipping successful technology
- BA/BS in an analytical field such as engineering, math, computer science, physics, Masters Degree in AI/ML related fields is a plus.
- An attention to detail and an eye for great architecture, performance, and scalability
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills, both oral and written in English
- Eagerness to work in a fast-paced work environment
- Passion about creator economy, and love for podcasts!
- Competitive salary and equity commensurate with experience and performance
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages to fit your needs
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time off when you need it
- A rare, ground-floor opportunity to work with sharp, motivated teammates solving hard challenges and changing the world in a fast-growing industry just getting started
- We have a remote-friendly culture—while we would love for you to work with colleagues at times out of the NYC office, our employees can work from anywhere
Please note this role is open to candidates outside of New York City as well. The information below is provided for those hired in NYC only.
If you are a New York City applicant:
The estimated pay range for this role, based in New York City, is $140,000 - $180,000. This role will also be eligible to participate in our company's equity program. Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of many compensation, benefits, and other reward opportunities we provide.
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated to you as a candidate.
THE SOUNDER STORY
Sounder builds Audio Intelligence tools for independent audio creators, media publishers, and audio platforms. Our team was founded in 2019 by Google and Spotify executives and is currently distributed worldwide. As a Sounder employee, we believe you can work from wherever you do your best work.
Sounder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.