Director of Product (Remote)
San Francisco /
Sourcegraph has a clear mandate from our customers to scale our business, our product, and our team, as detailed in our announcement that we raised a $50m Series C from Sequoia. Read through our handbook to learn about our team, our vision, our values, our goals, and many other things.
Today, the product team is 6 people: 3 Product Managers and 3 Product Designers. However, the engineering team is roughly 35 people, divided into 7 teams. The product team needs to catch up to the engineering team size so that there is a Product Manager partnered with each Engineering Manager, and then continue to grow with engineering as new teams are created.
Here is our current 2021 plan for engineering, and our current 2021 plan for product (link coming soon!). I would like to align the three Directors of Product with the soon to be hired Directors of Engineering:
Director of Product - Platform and Infrastructure
We currently do not have any product managers working on the teams that fall under this domain. You will be responsible for recruiting and hiring an amazing team of Product Managers who can help scale the organization. You will collaborate closely with the Director of Engineering - Platform and Infrastructure to lead our engineering investments in our application platform, developer productivity, and production infrastructure.
Director of Product - Search and replace
There are currently two Product Managers on this team. You will be responsible for hiring two additional PMs with specialties in search experiences and search at massive scale. You will collaborate closely with the Director of Engineering - Search and Replace to lead and innovate with our engineering teams that are focused on solving Big Code problems for the largest organizations.
Director of Product - Web
We are targeting to fill this role in FY22-Q2. There is currently one Product Manager on this team. You will be responsible for hiring two additional PMs. You will collaborate closely with the Director of Engineering - Web to lead the teams with an extraordinary breadth of functionality, owning all the places where a developer will interact with Sourcegraph: the browser extension, their editor, integrations with services, and more.
- You have managed a team of at least 5 Product Managers, and excel at motivating, retaining, and challenging your Product Managers to do their best work.
- You have been a Product Manager yourself for at least 5 years.
- You have designed and implemented hiring processes for product managers that minimized bias and produced high quality, diverse teams.
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm Pacific Time for at least 10 hours per week, so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
- You will lead and support the work of product managers on multiple engineering teams.
- You will source, recruit, and hire a diverse group of excellent Product Managers that contribute to Sourcegraph’s success.
- You will work collaboratively with Directors of Engineering who manage the Engineering managers for the same teams.
- You will ensure that we have clearly documented goals that are aligned with company goals, supported by metrics, and incremental enough for the team to make and communicate measurable progress each week.
- You will think strategically about the product, and empower our team’s to make decisions that support the vision of the Company.
- You are passionate about our mission, and know that the growth of our product team will determine our ability to execute on solving those problems.
- You will model, teach, and apply our values in everyday interactions.
- You will facilitate and sustain a healthy, inclusive team culture where everyone is set up to do their best work.
This is a great opportunity if you are looking to
- Work on a team of humble, high agency people who are motivated to succeed and a pleasure to work with.
- You want to build a great team of Product Managers, including owning the recruiting and hiring process.
- Shape the direction and culture of a growing product team.
- Make strategic decisions that are directly tied to the success of our business.
- Lead development on a product that developers love and use every day.
- Be challenged to grow in your career as we scale our business, product, and team over the next few years.
- Work at an all-remote company that can attract the best development talent worldwide with a generous compensation philosophy and equity upside.
We have a fully documented interview process in our handbook: https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/product/roles/interviews/director_product
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team (https://about.sourcegraph.com/company/remote) that is distributed across the world (https://about.sourcegraph.com/company/team). Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation (https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/people-ops/compensation) and practical benefits (https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/people-ops/benefits-and-perks) to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook (https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook).
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
See https://about.sourcegraph.com/company/careers for all open positions.